Will an internship mean his benefits are taken away from him? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will an internship mean his benefits are taken away from him?

beverleybee63 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Please can anyone help, my son who has an active EHCP is 23 and still in full time education but his course has come to an abrupt end unfortunately has he really love it. 
He has now been offered an internship, he is entitled to and receiving UC limited capabilities and PIP, will these benefits be taken away from him. 
Please can anyone help? 
 Thank you 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,763 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP won't be affected. Is he going to paid for the internship? if so then this will be treated as earned income. He will have the work allowance which means he can receive a certain amount of earnings each month before the 55% deductions apply.

    If he claims for help with the rent the work allowance will be £379/month, if he doesn't then it will be £631/month. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-work-allowances/universal-credit-work-allowances

    He will also need to report a change of circumstances and tell them he's working (if his employer pays him)

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.