Food for thought. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Food for thought.

onebigvoice
onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 726 Pioneering
Many moons ago, ( Oh and by the way we had an eclipse yesterday) I said I would try to explain things or phrases that we use today and yet the "younger generation" don't understand.
  This is not my research or post but was sent to me as an Engineer and thought How many other thought.  WELL I NEVER KNEW THAT.
  So with that in mind and over the next life time here is Food for thought, if you know something that you want to post, put it on, on any subject humerour or facts, put them here.
  " Remember the poem Tulips from Hamster jam?"

The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number. Why was that gauge used? Well, because that's the way they built them in England, and English engineers designed the first US railroads. Why did the English build them like that? Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the wagon tramways, and that's the gauge they used. So, why did 'they' use that gauge then? Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons, which used that same wheel spacing. Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing? Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break more often on some of the old, long distance roads in England . You see, that's the spacing of the wheel ruts. So who built those old rutted roads? Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (including England ) for their legions. Those roads have been used ever since. And what about the ruts in the roads? Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match or run the risk of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome , they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. Bureaucracies live forever. So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder 'What horse's a*s came up with this?', you may be exactly right. Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses. (Two horses' as*es.)  Now, the twist to the story: When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah . The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds. So, a major Space Shuttle design feature, of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system, was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's a*s. And you thought being a horse's a*s wasn't important? Ancient horse's as*es control almost everything.   

Add yours.........

Comments

• onebigvoice
    Trivia questions asked of my grand son?
     What do you call a group of Giraff's?
      What do you call a group of young Ducks?
      What colour do you get if you mix yellow and red?  Or blue and Yellow?
    What do you get when you heat Water?

While you work those out (which he got right) the last one he gave an answer of??????????

Boiling Water.  What did you think?
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Boiling Water.  What did you think?
    In all honesty.  Steam  :smile:

Give my daughter any maths question and she'll do it in seconds.  Any medical questions her colleagues ring her for advice.  Give her a simple question and you despair.

She's got the nickname of Alice (vicar of dibley) in work ... still trying to live down believing that a policeman used a taser instead of a defribilator to bring back a patient.  Or the time she was shocked to see daffodils in Liverpool thinking they just existed here in Wales

Two questions she has asked that I've wondered about - do obese ducks have to paddle faster and do cows in foreign countries have accents
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
      What colour do you get if you mix yellow and red?  Or blue and Yellow?
    If you mix blue and yellow you get blellow right? Lol. 
  • onebigvoice
    @WelshBlue I was expecting Steam as well, but on reflection is he really wrong?  Not really, by the way he's 7 years old going on 45.

As to your reply's the animal one has always made me chuckle, since I always talk to my animals and my dog can be deaddo and you say to him, I'm going into the kitchen do you want to go out the back for half hour? and he's up and waiting by the door?  This also applys later when going to bed, I could go in the kitchen and make a cup of tea, and he would not budge, say to him come on its time for bed and again he's waiting as he sleeps at the bottom of the bed by the door.
      ALL that and my ponderance, my daughter has horses and we went to a centre for training horses, he had 2 black spanish horses their who responded to every comand while walking around the ring with no saddle, I asked him if he understood English and said not really although he has been here about a year and a half he has picked up some english phrases that he recodnises?  Makes you wonderwill a spanish cat settle over here or will an english cat settle in germany?  It can't just be the tone, as my wife and kids can't get the dog to do nothing?  He never begs for food as he knows that he will be fed either when we have ours but does like to sit by my legs and will wait till I finish before going back out the kitchen to eat while I wash up.  YES, I am domesticated and it is the tone of my wife's voice and that look.....  Who's washing up.... looking at me...... 
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    edited May 2023
    @onebigvoice ... I think your grandson is right ... boiling water is more apt

Got me thinking back to my lil' girl - when she was 6 and watching Sharks Tale and the Rasta' Jellyfish came on ... out of the blue she asked ... do they smoke sea weed ... 

Still in shock to this day that a kid that age knew about ganja.  Lots of heads turned towards us in the cinema
  • onebigvoice
    @WelshBlue I was expecting Steam as well, as for smoking Sea Weed, that sounds about right.....
      I always remember when I was a kid and the joke then was:  Why did the Lobster blush?  Because he saw Queen Mary's Bottom....
      Still makes me chuckle.
  • onebigvoice
    Since the kids are off for Hols and because of the "new ways youing kids get taught, Jacobs school have a BOOKLET, which they can log onto and there are quizes on all subjects including maths to solve, history and even geography.
      At last it seems that the education, for younger people (Jacobs 7,) give them something to do apart from Shoot 'um up games I have mentioned before.
      They then gain points that are put onto a computer grid and any questions they get wrong they can retake at a later time.
      I have always said onc ewyou find that you can make some thing fun, then its great to see he has come on leaps and bounds.
      In class they have colour codes for each subject and they child depending on the colour in class can improve his or her score by doing these quizes.  They have had to create another colour (Grey) for some that complete each block and go to the next level.  There are 4 in his class and Jacob is one that as peppa pig says about her friend Edmond the elephant, or not so much peppa but people that teach peppa's class that Edmond is a clever cloggs, because he gives answers that others don't know.
      Have a try?  These are proper questions and not out side the box things.:  
    Questions like:  How do butterflys taste.  (don't say YUCK)
      What is a baby Swan Called?
      What is a baby bunny called?
      What 2 single numbers when multiplied together give a 2 digit answer yet when added together only give 1 
      What colours do you need to make orange?
      What two colours make blue?
      Where is Cherry blossom considered lucky?
      If your nose is running and your feet are smelling are you standing on your head?
      No the last one was mine.
      How do you plant a seedless grape?
      Why are gold fish called gold fish when they are orange?
      Why do you call a building a building when its already built?
      The last few are just to get you to think out side the box.....
    How many did you know, based on a 7 year olds quiz....

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.