Will we be no better off after LCWRA award? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will we be no better off after LCWRA award?

kassi Community member Posts: 1 Listener
We claim as couple my husband has worked for the last 30 yr we get esa
and universal credit however they take esa and industrial injury he had for 35 yr off so we get nil uc
however he has now been given LCWRA we receiving a letter I presume this will be backdated 
my question is 
will we still get deductions from the uc so be no better off 
or have I read it correct on here that 
we will keep the LCWRA money as well as esa and industrial Injury benefit he had hed for 35 yrs
sorry for a long first post 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,869 Disability Gamechanger
    The ESA claim will not be a couples claim, it will be a single claim because it's New style ESA. LCWRA is part of UC and the ESA and Industrial Injuries disablement benefit (IIDB) will continue to be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. Your maximum UC entitlement will increase by £390.06/month (less before the April increase) Whether there's any entitlement to UC will depend on your circumstances.

    As your husband has now been found to have LCWRA then he'll be placed into the Support Group for ESA and there will be extra money from the 14th week of his claim, it will be increased to £129.50/week. (£117.60/week before 10th April 2023)

    However once the ESA increases the deduction from your UC will also increase to £561/month. The IIDB will continue as normal.

    Does your husband claim either PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care? If so and you look after him for at least 35 hours per week then you can claim carers element of UC (assuming you don't claim this or carers allowance for looking after someone else)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.