Shared Room Rate? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Shared Room Rate?

Options
IsThisReal
IsThisReal Community member Posts: 10 Connected
Hi
I would be very grateful if anyone can help
I am over 35
A joint tenant, in a private let, and share facilities with one other person. We are seperate households - it is a formal share of the whole property. The landlord is not resident.
I receive UC, PIP (Enh DL, Std M).

I keep reading conflicting information on how many bedrooms I am entitled to. Some say

Single people aged 35 or over and couples with no children

We'll use the one bedroom 'self-contained' rate (provided you live in self-contained accommodation) for:

• single people aged 35 or over, and
  • couples with no children

We'll use the 'shared accommodation' rate if you live in accommodation with shared facilities.

Whereas others say

Local Housing Allowance shared accommodation rate will always apply in Housing Benefit even if you are not under 35 year's old. This isn't the case in Universal Credit, if you are 35 or older you will get the 1 bed rate of LHA even if you live in shared accommodation.

How many bedrooms should I be entitled to?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,547 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Housing benefit has different rules for the shared rate than housing element of UC does if you're sharing the property you live in. As you're claiming UC then you'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of LHA and not the shared rate.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • IsThisReal
    Options
    Thanks for that. I'm pretty worried about this stuff.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,547 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are you receiving the 1 bedroom rate? You can check what that is for your area here. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Secure/Search.aspx it will be the weekly rate here so you'll need to convert it to monthly, to do this you times the figure by 52 and then divide by 12.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • IsThisReal
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I am receiving it but I had to notify them of a change (rent increase). They are kinda reacting like something is wrong and its got me worrying. 
    I did get Severe Disability Premium and always assumed that was why I got 1bed rate, sharing in multiple different Local Authorities without an issue.
    But 2 years ago I moved to a new Local Authority and thus SDP was swapped for transitional protection. My manic googling of exemptions to Shared Rate only seemed to address SDP or under 35s with no mention of TP.
    I am so confused by everything Ive googled, plus I have a PIP reassessment form hitting my doormat in next few weeks. I dont understand how LA can be so disingenuous on their website (the first quotation in OP) - if everyone on UC over 35 is eligible for 1B Rate they should just say, rather using sophistry to dissuade people from pursuing what they are entitled to. 
    Rant over!
    Thanks again for your answer

Just as a postscript, I thought to add
    The property is a whole house, not just a bedsit with a shared bathroom for example. More googling not helping ...
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    IsThisReal said:... I dont understand how LA can be so disingenuous on their website (the first quotation in OP) - if everyone on UC over 35 is eligible for 1B Rate they should just say, rather using sophistry to dissuade people from pursuing what they are entitled to. 
    The LA don’t deal with the housing element of UC. LA only deal with those claiming Housing Benefit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.