Who looks after you? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who looks after you?

Options
onebigvoice
onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 757 Pioneering
edited May 2023 in Coffee lounge
I was looking at the new feed I have and thought by the head lines that Ricky Gervase was dead?  But in reading the article he was "After life Star" which I must say I did enjoy, suffered a nasty 8 hours and was recovering.  My wishes to him for a speedy recovery.  Then he posted a picture and thought I have one like that, it was taken about 8 years ago when I was in need of a bit of extra care, and it got me thinking, do you have a pet or something that you like that does give a little respite to the daily grind of work or relief from pain or trying to remember tablets or hospital appointments, etc.
  So here is one of mine, which also includes: Poem writing, drawing and sketching, lunch pubs (when I do get out) going to Tenby on the spur of the moment, Sitting on the top of Caerphilly Mountain in the cafe and ordering a full Breakfast and eating it out side, bno matter what the weather.
  It has also just dawned on me that with all this going on and looking after 2 Grandchildren that live with me, I don't have much time to be ill...  What is your safety valve for getting away from it all.

David [surname removed by moderator]

I saw a picture and thought I have one like that?
So here is mine and below here is his.......

I know its hard to tell the difference but we are both still being looked after by our cats.

It sounds like Ricky Gervais needed some comforting while he was ill Credit Instagramrickygervais
It sounds like Ricky Gervais needed some comforting while he was ill. Credit: Instagram/@rickygervais

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,745 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Love the pictures @onebigvoice our cats defo look after us 
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,171 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Peets are a great comfort when we are unwell. I have a cat and a dog. Your photos are lovely. Take care.
  • onebigvoice
    Options
    On tthe above I have written another.  Does this apply to you?

My condition?  (Who looks after who?)

I know I have a condition

It’s not something that I like

I haven’t had it long

But its with me the rest of my life.

I know it can be painful

And at time just cover my head

In a hope that it will go away

And stop banging in my head.

When I can’t seem to function

And days seem just a blur

I have my pets to comfort me

It must be all that fur.

My dog climbs up in bed

And puts his head near mine

And looks me in the eye

And his look says you’ll be just fine.

He doesn’t bark or jump around

Or say, its time you got up,

But, its just that look that says it all OK

You’ll be fine, now I’m around.

What’s that, that jumped on to my bed

The patter of little feet,

now he’s been joined by my 4 cats

is there enough room for all, will I be able to sleep.

Now I don’t mind them being there

Infact it’s really quite nice,

There all so warm and cuddle

OH please don’t tell my wife.

But draw the line when the cats claws go in

And sink into my spine.

OK guys I get the hint, its time for your feed

But you could have given me a lie in, or let me turn over on my side.

The moral of the story

Is pets are there for you

So give them creature comforts

Cos’ they are always there for you.

14/05/2023.

• onebigvoice
    Options
    On tthe above I have written another.  Does this apply to you?

My condition?  (Who looks after who?)

I know I have a condition

It’s not something that I like

I haven’t had it long

But its with me the rest of my life.

I know it can be painful

And at time just cover my head

In a hope that it will go away

And stop banging in my head.

When I can’t seem to function

And days seem just a blur

I have my pets to comfort me

It must be all that fur.

My dog climbs up in bed

And puts his head near mine

And looks me in the eye

And his look says you’ll be just fine.

He doesn’t bark or jump around

Or say, its time you got up,

But, its just that look that says it all OK

You’ll be fine, now I’m around.

What’s that, that jumped on to my bed

The patter of little feet,

now he’s been joined by my 4 cats

is there enough room for all, will I be able to sleep.

Now I don’t mind them being there

Infact it’s really quite nice,

There all so warm and cuddle

OH please don’t tell my wife.

But draw the line when the cats claws go in

And sink into my spine.

OK guys I get the hint, its time for your feed

But you could have given me a lie in, or let me turn over on my side.

The moral of the story

Is pets are there for you

So give them creature comforts

Cos’ they are always there for you.

14/05/2023.

• onebigvoice
    Options
      I know I wrote this poem some time ago but like most things its the topic of the moment, and then people forget, or loose site of the objective.
      In recent months its back because the fight is still on to get recodnition for the unsung hero's who look after us.
      In my last meeting 3 days ago we were still discussing why the government has not recodnised how much money they are saving by not paying oved ones, the neighbour next door that lookes in every day to see if your O K and want anything down the shop.
      One of the things I have noticed even in form filling is that if your able to use a mobile phone then they believe that we all have an app, that allows us to order on line and press click and collect or arrange for a delivery service to drop it off?
      Not all people are "computer literate" or Mobile phone friendly enough to be able to do these things, and do souley rely on others.  Why is there a reluctance to help people in need whether its financially or Medically?  Even to get a mind assessment is a long process.  Not because of the process MIND take but trying to be assessed by anyone that may not be able to ear mark you for treatment but give extra funding to learn about issues that affect you, even things like being safe in your own home, who to contact in an emergency, remembering appointments by having letters sent to confirm dates and times.
      Most things these days come at a cost, but at UNITE, they run classes which are free and cover many subjects, not only mental health, but being computer safe, and not having scammers get details of your bank, and a simple payment for a small job leads to your account being hacked.
      Mental Health is a silent killer, it not always on show, it can face the world with a happy smile and inside be horrible.  If any one feels this way there is always help and may just need a call to someone and have them listen to you without cutting you off in mid sentence or comments like don't be stupid, don't feel alone, as I have stated before you can be in a room full of people and everyone is talking and every time you join in your ignored, its like being in a room of strangers were they don't smoke and you light up a cigarette?
      Carers week is 24/7 365 days a year, not just 7 days in a year.
     Thinking of that, at christmas every one in Parliament andf around the country pledge Minutes but how many of you actually do the time pledged?    
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 567 Pioneering
    Options
    Beautiful and poignant post @onebigvoice  
  • onebigvoice
    Options

Thank youj for your comment, it is most appreciated.
      Being one of those people that have had serious issues and would like to think I have come out the other side.  I would like to add, that it never really goes away.  You just learn another mechadnism to know when things are starting to pile up again, when a simple comment hits a "raw" nerve and then another, and realise that you are not coping as well as you thought and start to not to join in, in family time because you become the butt end of every joke.  Then you start to get comments like, what's wrong with you?  Can't take a joke?
      A joke is only a joke when ALL ARE LAUGHING, not those not realising how hurtful a small comment hurts and then you just want to remove youir self from the situation and go and sit in a room by yourself.
      I know others out there are like this and keep busy by writing E Mails and letters to all and sundry, but to get a posative result, its as though you asked them to cut off their right arm at the neck?
      "Lip service" as I call it is free, but action takes effort on us all to keep fighting even when they state we have done every thing we can?
      ASK your self what has changed for you.  If the answer is nothing, then ask them what have they done to help you and get them to write it down.  THE EXCUSE FOR YOU....  I cannot take every thing that is said to me in one go so if you write what you have done I can refer to this slowly and take on board what I need to do next?
      NOT MANY DO?  this is what they rely on, as in six months the deduction they start taking again is questioned and they say I have explain this all before.
      Things that use the words descressionary are exactly that and are open to who ever is dealing with that at the time but when you ask for it in writing nother ever gets answered.  Believe me, it doesn't.     
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 567 Pioneering
    Options
    @onebigvoice I hope all works out for you. You have raised some good points (issues). No-one should make a disabled person the butt of a joke, and they definitely shouldn't ask "what is wrong with you; can't you take a joke?". They are just excusing themselves.

Enjoy your animals; they are your very best friend.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,710 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My mum and my wonderful PA
  • onebigvoice
    Options
      Thanks for the comments, just like to say my family are close tome and they are a big help.
      Like most thing even help it can be a bit hit miss, one minute you can't get an appointment then every one want to stretch every muscle in your body and the final say, make sure you keep taking the tablets.
      I'm in a happy place and that at home...

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.