Things I used to believe... — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Things I used to believe...

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,607 Pioneering
edited May 2023 in Coffee lounge
Until I was about 10 - I used to think that honey came from "squeezing" it out of bees...
Are there any similar incorrect beliefs from anyone else, that they would like to admit?

Comments

• pinklady45
    pinklady45 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Options
    I believed my mum when she said the man in the moon looks after me when I sleep 
  • Wibbles
    Options
    I used to believe that there was good in everyone 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I used to believe chimney was spelt and pronounced 'chimley'  :D  
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,797 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't know what we believed would happen, but as a child we used to live by and play out in the park / fields / trees by a train track and when a train came past everyone would shout "off ground" and we couldn't be standing on the ground, and had to find anything like a tree or a chair to get off the ground.
  • Superbetty
    Superbetty Community member Posts: 448 Pioneering
    Options
    I believed my mum when she said the man in the moon looks after me when I sleep 
    That is sooo cute!!!! I believed for long time that babies come out of the tummy:-)Obviously through belly button:-)
  • emancherry33
    emancherry33 Community member Posts: 3,640 Pioneering
    Options
    2 things I used to believe about the moon when I was a kid was the moon was made of cheese and Allen's lived on the moon. Also believed button moon with Mr and Mrs moon was real.
  • emancherry33
    emancherry33 Community member Posts: 3,640 Pioneering
    Options
    Also used to believe that at night microscopic men used to clean your eyes and eye lids and by morning they left the little yellow bundles of dust and dirt from your eyes neatly in little piles for me to wipe away when I woke up..
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 755 Pioneering
    Options
    I used to believe I was invincible ... 
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,945 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I used to believe as a child, when I grew up I could do anything I wanted.
  • easy
    easy Scope Member Posts: 670 Pioneering
    Options
    My husband told our daughter, when they sowed the seed for grass they did so in lines going one way and then the other. Hence the effect you get on say a football pitch. She believed this for many years.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,474 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We're bought up believing fairy tales, santa, tooth fairy, Easter bunny. 
    Don't sit on a damp concrete step you will get piles.  :/ no scientific evidence  to back that up.
     Yes I googled it.
    Don't ware damp clothes you will get TB.....really erm no.

Oh yeah....I was also sent to the shop for elbow Greece, that the shop keeper found funny, telling me he needed to order some in.  Now there is a cleaning product called it.
  • Binky1234
    Binky1234 Community member Posts: 408 Pioneering
    Options
    I used to believe little people lived in the tv.
    Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,443 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
            My dad told my daughter a little old lady sat picking the seeds out of strawberries with a needle to make seedless jam    :|
  • Wibbles
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    We're bought up believing fairy tales, santa, tooth fairy, Easter bunny. 
    Don't sit on a damp concrete step you will get piles.  :/ no scientific evidence  to back that up.
     Yes I googled it.
    Don't ware damp clothes you will get TB.....really erm no.

Oh yeah....I was also sent to the shop for elbow Greece, that the shop keeper found funny, telling me he needed to order some in.  Now there is a cleaning product called it.
    Sky Hooks are another falasy!!
    During my apprenticeship I was sent to collect from the stores
  • Wibbles
    Options
    I remember being on holiday in Scotland in 1970 and being told by our parents that the surrounding forests were full of wolves with processed peas for eyes - presumably to stop us from wandering off...........
    I have always hated processed peas.
  • JudithL
    JudithL Community member Posts: 68 Connected
    Options
    I believed that I'd be able to whistle when I was a grown up. As a child my Mum and my Grandad could both whistle proper tunes...I couldn't make any sound when I tried, so I assumed it was a grown up thing...It's not!
  • Wibbles
    Options
    "union jack" paint is another one !!
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,474 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My sisters, who are lovely really, used to tell me that the round holes in the built in wardrobe, in the bedroom was where the bogie man was watching, terrified me that did.
  • Squeakypips
    Squeakypips Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Options
    his
    hers
    ours
    its

are all correct. No apostrophe.
    I was very old (well, relatively)  until I believed the last one was right.
    I corrected a 40year old teacher who practically wanted to fight about it - she was mortified!

--

I also used to think a quantum leap was big. Nope, it's the smallest possible change you can make.
  • Squeakypips
    Squeakypips Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Purrrrrrr said:
     I know there are some amazing caring individuals
    No, no, they only do the "caring " thing to make themselves feel better. A self preservation stategy. IMHO!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.