Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.


Babs57 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, my Sister does not have to pay any rent because she gets low rate Pip for both. Her daughter lives with her, gives her £500 a month housekeeping. Sister gets income related ESA so there for she is getting government money top ups. I have to pay rent and council tax plus I didn't get the warm home discount this year. My husband is epileptic, has angina and spine probs but can't get pip. He gets carers for me, but no other income. Can anyone help please? 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,055 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP has nothing to do with any help with the rent. This will be covered through housing benefit for your sister, if she's claiming Income Related ESA. The money her daughter gives her for her "keep" will not affect any of her benefits.

    You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit for yourself and your husband. You will need to claim as a couple because it's a means tested benefit. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming.

    If you're unable to use a benefits calculator then you can get a full benefits check from an advice agency near you.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.