Benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits

Options
Babs57
Babs57 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, my Sister does not have to pay any rent because she gets low rate Pip for both. Her daughter lives with her, gives her £500 a month housekeeping. Sister gets income related ESA so there for she is getting government money top ups. I have to pay rent and council tax plus I didn't get the warm home discount this year. My husband is epileptic, has angina and spine probs but can't get pip. He gets carers for me, but no other income. Can anyone help please? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP has nothing to do with any help with the rent. This will be covered through housing benefit for your sister, if she's claiming Income Related ESA. The money her daughter gives her for her "keep" will not affect any of her benefits.

You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit for yourself and your husband. You will need to claim as a couple because it's a means tested benefit. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator

If you're unable to use a benefits calculator then you can get a full benefits check from an advice agency near you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.