Just want a quiet life — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just want a quiet life

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,931 Disability Gamechanger

I live at home with my parents and dog and we all get on really well; no arguments, my parents have the odd trivial disagreement, but that’s it.

We have close family members who live nearby who are always causing trouble, getting angry, having arguments etc. They always seem to drag my parents into their problems. This can be in the form of being nasty to my parents or demanding money or practical/emotional support (which my parents will never say “no” to as they feel an obligation).

All I want is a quiet life - I don’t need to be rich or live an exciting life with lots of holidays - I just want to be left alone to live my simple life.

Can anyone relate or does anyone ever feel the same?

If you live alone or in a small family and wish you had a larger family, be careful what you wish for!

I’m looking forward to hearing peoples responses.

Comments

• WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 764 Pioneering
    Options
    As the saying goes - you can choose your friends but not your family.

It sounds like some in yours are taking advantage of your parents good nature, sort of reminds me of the time I was physically able and would drop doing things to help people - but strangely when I called in a favour they were all too busy

Sadly some are lacking in common decency/ respect ? 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,931 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yep @WelshBlue we know that saying all too well. Also another one, when concerning certain family members, "I love them but I don't like them".

Common decency is not too common these days sadly!
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,067 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Its never plain sailing with families sometimes
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think the grass is always greener on the other side.  I doubt anyone is totally content in life.

Personally I find other people hard work and just want to be left alone, but I am incredibly lonely and want to be more socially involved (if that's the right phrase), which seems to be a major contradiction!
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Agreed @66Mustang, I do keep myself to myself though and very rarely see my family as much as I used to bar events, not in a bad way and I love them all but sometimes it is for the best especially when they expect money etc all the time. You know my PM is open should you wish to chat more about it there whenever.
  • Cyhyraeth
    Cyhyraeth Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Options
    When I started approaching adulthood the main pastime evolved into going to clubs and drinking, which because of my disability I was and am unable to do without things going wrong very quickly. This resulted in my limited friend group becoming virtually non-existent.

I've lived alone for 20 years, since I moved out of my parents house; and have always been fiercely independent. I can count on one hand the amount of friends i've had since then, who have all disappeared for much the same reasons. 
    Between the age of 21 and 38 I was unemployed for a total of 3 months. Over the past roughly 10 years my mobility has taken an ever increasing dive, and I was laid off from my last job which I had been at for 11 years, 5 years ago now (not because of my health).

Since then i've sat in my house and haven't been further than 2 feet from my front door since October last year when I went for a hospital appointment. The only people I have to rely on are my dad and brother.  My dad will ring me roughly once every 6 weeks, and be quite short tempered  and ask why i'm calling if i ring him, but will ultimately help me (which I barely ever ask for anyway); and my brother will only come to see me/help if I pay him.  This leaves me quite anxious at times as to what will become of me when my dad passes on.

Apologies for the long, barely relevant post, the topic just awoke it in my brain!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.