ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA

Options
sueg5
sueg5 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi, I have become disabled with arthritis and I am in receipt of PIP. My pay has now stopped at work and I will be getting new style ESA. Does anyone have any experience of this please? I am wondering how long it takes for them to assess and decide which group I am in. My feeling is that it should be the support group as I’m not able to work at all. Also wondering, if I’m placed into the support group and stay there, will I Continue to recieve ESA after the year is up ( I’m aware it used to be a year to get contribution based). I live with a partner and he earns over the UC threshold and has savings. Work will probably terminate my contract at some point and although I am applying to get ill health retirement there is no guarantee I will. Any advice or experience welcome please. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will require a fit note from your GP to start the claim process, which can be done online. You will receive a letter to attend an appointment (which should be by telephone) with your local Job Centre to create your 'claimant commitment'. This agreement will include different things you must do to be entitled to ESA, depending on your work coach your commitments will either be turned off or reduced but until an assessment has been carried out then there's nothing you can do in that aspect unfortunately. 

Shortly after this once payments commence you will receive an ESA50 health questionnaire to fill out, this is a good way to fully explain how your conditions affect you. It will take several months to even wait for an appointment, it really isn't a quick process unfortunately. Once you have had your WCA it will take between 2-12 weeks for the final decision to be made, if awarded the Support Group then you should be backdated from the 13th week.

You will still require to get repeat fit notes with no breaks until the final decision is made on your entitlement.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,634 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you taken a look at the Support Group descriptors to see which one you think applies to you? You can see them here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/support-group-descriptors

Please also be aware that they will assess your ability to do any type of work because it's the work you can do and not the work you can't do.

If placed into the Support Group payments will continue for as long as you remain in that group, there's never been a time limit of just 1 year for this group.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sueg5
    Options
    Thanks both for your replies. I am getting fit notes from the doctor which I can’t see stopping as my condition is not getting better. The bit which baffles me is that they would continue to give me the ESA if I’m in the support group, regardless of my partners income. I have checked and it seems I would meet the criteria due to mobility and pain issues.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2023
    Options
    sueg5 said:... The bit which baffles me is that they would continue to give me the ESA if I’m in the support group, regardless of my partners income. ..
    New style ESA has nothing to do with your partner. It is an individual benefit for you regardless of your financial circumstances (apart from some pension income). Entitlement to ESA, if you meet the health requirements, is based on your NI record in the previous two tax years prior to the calendar year in which you apply.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • sueg5
    Options
    Thank you. Think I’m just a bit surprised to see a benefit that isn’t based on the household…
  • poppy123456
    Options
    sueg5 said:
    Thank you. Think I’m just a bit surprised to see a benefit that isn’t based on the household…

There's always been at least 2 benefits that aren't based on household income. New style ESA and JSA are 2 of them now.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2023
    Options
    sueg5 said:

There's always been at least 2 benefits that aren't based on household income. New style ESA and JSA are 2 of them now. 
    Plus of course disability benefits which are not means tested.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    sueg5 said:

Plus of course disability benefits which are not means tested.

Thanks calcotti, i should have included those too. Completely overlooked that.
  • sueg5
    Options
    Thank you. This has all been reassuring. It’s a worrying time as it’s likely that I will be deemed unfit to work, which I agree with  and my contract will be terminated. Strangely, this doesn’t mean I will be approved for the ill health pension that I have applied for. Thanks again everyone.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This does sound really worrying @sueg5  :( Would anything help to make this more manageable for you at the moment? Sending you hugs and a listening ear if you wish to talk about it or if there's anything we can do to help  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.