Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, my name is suejks! PIP & ESA advice for my sister

suejks Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello I am looking for some advice regarding my 57 year old sister who has severe learning disabilities. With the support of a very good employer, she was able to work as a care assistant for more than 30 years. However, following a serious injury at work, she has been left unable to use her right arm (she is awaiting surgery, but this may not allow her to work in this field again). 
Following the death of our parents, I now am responsible for supporting her and have LPAs etc. 
I have recently applied and been awarded PIP. She has been getting ESA based on her previous contributions. She has just been assessed as being capable of work and will be put into a work related activity group with her ESA stopping in 2 weeks time. 
She went to a special school over 50 years ago. A recent educational assessment said that she has a reading age of a 6 year old and very very low verbal, visual and numerical reasoning. Although she lives semi-independently she is supported in all aspects of her life.
I want to appeal the decision. I want to know if she should have been entitled to have an assessment by a learning disabilities specialist - as the person we spoke to by telephone appeared to have no real interest in this aspect of her life. 

She would love to have a job - but realistically there is absolutely no chance of her being employed with one arm and a severe learning disability.

If anyone else has any experience of this, I would be really grateful to hear about it.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,334 Disability Gamechanger
    You can request the Mandatory Reconsideration, (MR) on the ESA decision. The reason her ESA is stopping is because New style ESA is only paid for 1 year unless placed into the Support Group.

    Whem requesting the MR you should put this in writing stating why you think you should be placed into the Support Group. You can see the descriptors here.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @suejks

    Welcome to the community! :) It sounds like it's been a frustrating time navigating everything, you are a wonderful sibling :) 

    The NHS has a webpage on Learning difficulties, with a section about a needs assessment which I think could be beneficial to read. 
    Hannah - She / Her

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • suejks
    suejks Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks I will take a look.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you managed to take a look yet @suejks? If so, I am just wondering if you would like to talk to us a little more about how you found this website and if there's anything else we can do to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.