Carers allowence — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowence

Options
hello6256
hello6256 Community member Posts: 17 Listener
Hi I’ve just applied for carers allowance for a family friend. Will it effect the person I care for benefits in anyway?

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Depending what benefits they currently receive. If they receive a benefit which includes a Severe Disability Premium they with lose the SDP if you receive Carers Allowance (or the carer element of UC).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • hello6256
    Options
    How do they know if they get that? Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,394 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hello6256 said:
    How do they know if they get that? Thanks 

Which benefits are they currently claiming exactly? It would have been better to do these checks before you claimed it.
    Are you currently claiming any benefits yourself? If so which ones?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • hello6256
    Options
    They get lower rate PIP on both and ESA there esa is £259 every 2 weeks so is that including the SDP? Or had that not been added on? I don’t claim anything and have just lost my hours at work 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That amount for their ESA doesn't include the SDP. However, if they live alone or treated as living alone then they would be entitled to the SDP, up until you claimed carers allowance for them.

For yourself as well as carers allowance you can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. If you live with a partner you'll need to claim as a couple because it's a means tested benefit. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming.

If you claim UC the carers allowance will be deducted in full.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • hello6256
    Options
    They only started get Esa last year so is this new style esa?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    hello6256 said:
    They only started get Esa last year so is this new style esa?

Ah yes of course, thanks. I should have realised that because of the amount but it was rather late.

They should also check entitlement to UC for theirself. If they live with a partner they'll need to claim as a couple. If they have savings/capital of more than £16,000 they're excluded from claiming.

The ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement but they'll be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of their claim.
  • hello6256
    Options
    Yeah they get UC already live alone and have the LCWRA element so their benefits will be safe? And if I claim UC will the carers effect that? Sorry for all the questions I’m so new to all of this I’m trying to read online but it’s all so much to take in
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You claiming CA will not affect any of their benefits. If you claim UC then as i advised the CA will be deducted in full. Your maximum UC entitlement will then include the carers element.
    CA will then be paid to you separately.
  • hello6256
    Options
    Thank you so is it still worth claiming UC? 
  • hello6256
    Options
    I live with my parents 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2023
    Options
    hello6256 said:
    Thank you so is it still worth claiming UC? 
    It depends on your financial circumstances.
    Try using a benefits calculator https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk
    If you have no other income then it will be worth claiming UC (assuming you are not excluded by having savings over £16,000).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    hello6256 said:
    I live with my parents 

Your parents income will not affect any entitlement you may have to UC. As a carer you will not have any work related requirements. If you do claim than you'll need to report being a carer and then the carers element will be included.
  • hello6256
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your help I have sent off the application 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @hello6256

Welcome to the community! :) I'm so glad Poppy and Calcotti were able to help you, I hope you keep us updated with the outcome :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • hello6256
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your help I have sent off the application 
  • hello6256
    Options
    Thanks I will do  :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.