Severe disability premium. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe disability premium.

Options
Skysummer
Skysummer Community member Posts: 22 Connected
Disability premiums 

Just had an OT assessment and they have suggested moving to a bungalow below.

I received PIP enhanced on both and still on IR ESA and also get the Severe disability premium.

Can I please check that the following is still correct?

When you change over to UC….The Severe and Enhanced Disability Premiums do not exist, and your entitlement will stop. But you may get Universal Credit (UC) transitional protection.

So you shouldn’t choose to change to UC if you can?

I assume moving, even to the same area means I would go over to UC and lose the premium?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,632 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2023
    Options
    If you’re already claiming housing benefit, moving to the same local Authority will not be a change of circumstances that will prompt a move to UC. 

You will only need to claim UC if you’re moving to a different LA and need to claim help with the rent. 

If you claim UC and you’re in the Support Group for ESA then you’ll be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim. Your UC will also include the SDP transitional protection, providing you still live alone or treated as living alone when you claim UC. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Skysummer
    Options
    If you’re already claiming housing benefit, moving to the same local Authority will not be a change of circumstances that will prompt a move to UC. 

You will only need to claim UC if you’re moving to a different LA and need to claim help with the rent. 

If you claim UC and you’re in the Support Group for ESA then you’ll be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim. Your UC will also include the SDP transitional protection, providing you still live alone or treated as living alone when you claim UC. 
    Thank you. My adult daughter lives with me and she also gets both enhanced elements of PIP, but as she receives PIP I get SDP.

I am in the support group of ESA, and receive full HB.

So from what you have stated I will still get SDP?

Am I right though that you have to go without payment of UC for six weeks and you have to pay your landlord direct? At present my HB is paid straight to my Housing Association.

One more question if I may?

I am 57 and concerned if anything happened to me my daughter would be homeless. If I add her and we become joint tenants would that affect any of my benefits? At present she is unable to work and doesn’t claim ESA or UC, just PIP.

• poppy123456
    Options
    You're still entitled to SDP for as long as you remain on Income Related ESA because you live with your daughter who also claims daily living PIP.

If you claim UC then there will be no entitlement to SDP because it doesn't exist when claiming UC. You will be entitled to the SDP Transitional protection but this is less than your ESA is now so you wil be worse off. The TP also erodes over time so when other elements increase the TP decreases until eventually is erodes completely.

However, as i advised, providing you remain in the same local Authority you will not have to claim UC and you can remain on your current benefits. It will just be a change of circumstances for housing benefit for a change of address.

Is your daughter a student? if not is there any reason why she doesn't claim UC in her own right?

You can add her name onto the tenancy agreement but she'll be responsible for half the rent, which she can claim UC for help with that. Her being on the tenancy agreement will not affect you in a bad way.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Skysummer
    Options
    Thank you so much for your detailed reply.

That has made my mind up that I will not move at the moment.

So I am prepared for when I have to move over to UC like everyone else, can I please ask about the timescale of TP eroding and eventually completely finishing? What is the timescale for this, months etc that I will still receive it?

Thank you for your generous time.

• poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome. You can move house providing you don't move to a different local Authority (council) if you remain with the same one as now there will be no change to your benefits.

For managed migration those claiming ESA Income Related will not be invited to apply for UC until at least 2028. Unless a change of circumstances prompts a move in the meantime.

For managed migration you will not be any worse off when they do invite you to apply. How long it takes to erode will depend on each individual circumstances so it's impossible to answer that question.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Skysummer said:
    ...can I please ask about the timescale of TP eroding and eventually completely finishing? What is the timescale for this, months etc that I will still receive it?
    The time taken depends on your circumstances.
    The TP will be set on the day of transfer.
    Any later increase to other parts of the award (annual increases, increased in rent, additional child etc.) will be deducted from the TP until such time as the TP reduces to nil. This seems that the total UC maximum award is effectively fixed until such time as the TP has disappeared.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.