Wheelchair Skills — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair Skills

Options
wendypendy
wendypendy Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi
I have been given a wheelchair from the NHS made to measure and proper sitting which is just right for me .
iIs there any where you can go to to learn Wheelchair skills? The wheelchair  it is A Quicky Argon 2 Wheelchair.
Thanks

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Hello @wendypendy I'm glad your new chair is just right for you, it can be a battle getting the right chair, so I'm pleased to hear this :)

I don't know if things have progressed much in the last few decades, but there wasn't a set place as such when I first started using a chair myself. 

I remember when I was given my manual chair with the NHS, I was given about 10 minutes to try out maneuvering in the wheelchair services room around some cones, and then more or less left to it. 

Practice certainly helps with confidence, you might like to head somewhere like a quiet car park, or somewhere with a large and level surface, to practice moving around initially. It does help to look at where you'd like to be going, rather than at your hands or feet, in the same way as walking.  

To practice kerbs and doorways, the best thing to do is practice on short walks to/from home and into or out of home, or local to you, to get used to the pavements in your area- if you're using your chair outside that is. 

Is there anything you'd like to know more about, or anything I've missed?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • wendypendy
    Options
    Thank you for your advice the main problem is as soon as I go out my parents insist on pushing me  and moan none stop about how stupidly  low the handles are.
    Thanks again. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    That sounds like a pain @wendypendy have you spoken to your parents about this?

I don't want to assume, but it sounds like you'd like to move yourself around as much as possible when out and about, is that right? 

From looking at your chair, it's designed for the user to propel themselves, not to be pushed from behind.

There are handle extensions that you can get, and if this is something which you are happy with, then I'd encourage you to speak to wheelchair services about it. If not, then maybe try chatting with your parents about how you want to build your own independence :)  
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• wendypendy
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Hello
    yes I have they just say what’s the point in doing it  your self when we are their. I have also been in touch with wheelchair services too just waiting to hear back from them.
    thank you for you comment .
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    That's okay @wendypendy I hope you hear from wheelchair services soon :) 

Your chair is designed to boost your own independence, I think everyone has the right to as much independence as they feel comfortable with.

As a wheelchair user myself, my chair often feels like an extension of my body. When other people push it and I don't want them to, or I don't know them, it can be very unsettling. 

A good comparison might be to think about what it would feel like for a non wheelchair user- perhaps as if someone tries to grab their ankles and move them somewhere, how upset that might make them feel!

Let us know how things go when you can, and take care for now.
    Scope

• wendypendy
    edited May 2023
    Options
    could I ask what sort of wheelchair you have please.? If I had friends I could go out with I think they would understand a bit more then my parents  I know they are only trying to help
     But it stops me wanting to go out in it as they moan about it every time ..
    Thanks for taking the time to reply
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    My manual chair from wheelchair services is quite old now, and it's a Invacare 2 Self-Propel Wheelchair, I still use it when it's not practical to use my powerchair on days out.

I mostly use a powerchair day to day, which did not come from the NHS as I need to use it both inside and outside.
    Scope

• Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,603 Pioneering
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I use a wheelchair when out of the house and am unable to move myself, I have to rely on my wife
    I find that my total lack of coordination kicks in and I end up "vibrating" on the spot (moving forwards/backwards an inch or so) - I was wondering whether there were "manovering lessons" available anywhere ?
    I see people self powering them as fast as a "normal" can run and can't even move myself a matter of feet.... its so frustrating !!
    The chair is not a lightweight one - but its not super heavy either
  • wendypendy
    Options
    Thank you
    for your comment yes it very frustrating I am able to push my self but they never allow me to even try.
    was it from the NHS if you don’t mind me asking?
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    Hi again @wendypendy hope you're doing okay? I just wanted to share this Youtube channel, wheelchair skills, a colleague shared it last week, so I hope it can be useful for you, perhaps something to watch with your parents :) 
    Scope

• wendypendy
    Options
    Thank you
    i will watch don’t think they will be interested though. As don’t see why as they say I am making a fuss.
    but I suppose when parents are nearly eighty they don’t see things like other wheelchair user these days as in there day if you were in a wheelchair most even Doctors thought your life was over but Thankfully things have changed.
    great talking to you.
    nice to have someone to talk too as I don’t have any friends too old for the young to bother with me and not old enough to do what my parents do . 
    Thanks again 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    Thankfully so @wendypendy, things have changed :) And that's okay, we're here anytime!
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.