If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal Credit confusion on rates

Options
andwhatisnow
andwhatisnow Community member Posts: 40 Connected
edited May 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi! I've just tried the turn2us calculator and it says that I'm entitled to £ 157.52 per week. It confuses me because it's £ 682 per month. It confuses me because when I type on google it says that the standard for single and over 25 for a month is £ 368.74.

Also, turn2us asked me how many people live in my accomodation. Does that mean in my same room, or house? It also gives the maximum option of 4. What if it's more?
Thank you

PS
I mistakenly wrote this post on the "Benefits and financial support" section. It can be removed.

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @andwhatisnow I'll remove that other discussion for you, if there are any replies, I'll merge them here. Thanks for letting us know :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Hi! I've just tried the turn2us calculator and it says that I'm entitled to £ 157.52 per week. It confuses me because it's £ 682 per month. It confuses me because when I type on google it says that the standard for single and over 25 for a month is £ 368.74.
     When you use the calculator you can choose whether or the calculator shows the result as a monthly amount or a weekly amount.
    The total benefit amount depends on what parts of UC you are entitled to and what other benefits you receive.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • andwhatisnow
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Gov.uk says that for single and over 25 the amount is £368.74 a month but after trying the the turn2us calculator it says that I'm entitled to £ 157.52 per week, which is £ 682 per month. Is it possible or it's a mistake?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,160 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes it's possible, if you claim for help with your rent with your UC. It's also possible for a single person over the age of 25 to be entitled to £758.80/month (without rent) if their UC includes the LCWRA element.

Everyone's entitlement to UC will totally depend on their circumstances.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Gov.uk says that for single and over 25 the amount is £368.74 a month but after trying the the turn2us calculator it says that I'm entitled to £ 157.52 per week, which is £ 682 per month. Is it possible or it's a mistake?

That figure of £682 is the amount for someone under 25 that's also been found to have LCWRA. (without help with any rent)
    A benefits calculator is only as good as the information you put into it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • andwhatisnow
    edited May 2023
    Options
    And why on the Gov.uk says that for single and over 25 the amount is £368.74 a month? This I don't understand. They should write that it changes on the circumstances.
  • poppy123456
    edited May 2023
    Options
    As i advised, that's the correct amount for a single person without help with any rent. UC is one benefit made up of many different elements. What you're entitled to will depend on your circumstances.

Do you claim for help with any rent? have you been through a work capability assessment?

They should write that it changes on the circumstances.

Of course it depends on circumstances. You can't claim more than you're entitled to.
  • andwhatisnow
    Options
    I don't claim for any help for the rent and I haven't been through any capability assessment. I get PIP on a standard rate, no mobility.
  • andwhatisnow
    Options
    So I was stupid to get only tax credits when I did, I could have got much more with UC.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That means your maximum UC entitlement if 25+ is £368.74/month. If your health condition limits your capability for work then you can report a change of circumstances, then click health condition and report it. It will then prompt you to send a fit note within 7 days of that and continue to send them without any gaps until a decision is made on your work capability assessment.

You should be referred usually on day 29 (can be later) once referred you will recieve the work capability assessment forms in the post shortly after.

• andwhatisnow
    Options
    "That means your maximum UC entitlement if 25+ is £368.74/month." Why do you say that?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Because you’re single, with no liability to pay rent so that’s what your maximum UC entitlement is. If you work then any earnings you receive each month will reduce your UC by 55%. 
  • andwhatisnow
    Options
    I pay rent. Why do you say I have no liability to pay rent?
  • poppy123456
    edited May 2023
    Options
    In a previous comment you said you do not claim for help with any rent. Based in that i assumed you live with parents. If you’re not living with parents then why doesn’t your UC include help with the rent? 

You’re not making this very easy to advise you are you? 

I have no idea what your circumstances are because I don’t know anything about you. It’s impossible to advise with any information. 
  • andwhatisnow
    Options
    I said that I don't claim because at the moment I haven't claimed anything but I would like to claim rent. Apologies for the misunderstanding. So if I claim rent I should be getting more than that (£368.74)?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No problem. For rent, if you're living in privately rented property as a single person you'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of LHA. Your UC will then include the standard allowance mentioned above and the housing element. You can check the rates here but you'll need to convert it into a monthly amount, to do that you times the amount by 52 and then divide by 12. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/

If there's a shortfall of rent then you'll need to pay that yourself.

• andwhatisnow
    Options
    So I guess I was advised wrongly at the time. I had tax credits (about £50 pw), and I was told that if I moved to UC I would have had less money. Instead it seems like UC can cover your whole rent.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    So I guess I was advised wrongly at the time. I had tax credits (about £50 pw), and I was told that if I moved to UC I would have had less money. Instead it seems like UC can cover your whole rent.
    Not everyone is worse off when claiming UC, it will depend on each individual circumstances. 
    Whether the housing element of UC covers your whole rent will depend on your circumstances. If you’re privately renting and single then there’s less chance of UC covering your whole rent. You can check the rates by using the link I provided above. 
  • andwhatisnow
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I tried with turn2us and the link you provided and in both cases I get results that cover more than the rent. Talking about 1 bedroom in a shared house. I don't wanna go and rent a room, to find out later that I will not be able to afford it because I lack the funds.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    In this case you will only receive your maximum rent amount, you will not receive any more than what your rent is.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.