Eco friendly living — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Eco friendly living

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,812 Disability Gamechanger
edited May 2023 in Coffee lounge

Just wondering something randomly.

Do you do your bit for the environment and what are your motives? Do you do it because you want to "save the planet" or because it has some more direct benefit to you?

I turn things off and only boil the water I need etc…but only because it saves money.

In my car I try to drive economically but again only to save myself money.

I walk to the shops if they are local but only because it is good for me physically.

I recycle but mostly because the binmen only empty each of our 2 bins every other week so if we only used the general waste bin it would get full up.

So in truth, I guess I do a little bit, but only because it benefits me financially or practically. I rarely think "I'd better do/not do that because of the environment", it's always because there is some direct benefit to me.

Interested to hear what others say... :)

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,647 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am very concerned and acutely aware of the impact I have on the environment.  (As well as other people, and national finances etc.)

It has been suggested as one theme of my OCD, and that I should actively try to be more damaging to the planet as the treatment for it!  (I am, of course, sceptical about how they decide what is an OCD theme and what is a genuine risk...I do not agree on this one.)

I try to reduce single use plastic items as much as I can.  I try to use items that can be recycled in one way or another.  However I am also pragmatic about it, understanding that in my situation, I don't have much choice over the food I can eat or the groceries that I can have delivered.  Ironically, being housebound means I now have a greater environmental impact than when I was driving.

One thing that has helped me a bit is my local area now sending all non-recyclable household waste to a power plant that creates electricity by burning waste.  There are still emissions from doing that, as well as the emissions from waste trucks etc, so it's always best to avoid waste where I can, but I no longer feel as guilty about putting non-biodegradable waste in the bin as I did when it went to landfill.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious that's an interesting point about it being linked with OCD...maybe they think some people with OCD are scared of "contaminating" the planet like they are with more local/personal objects, or is that too simple a way of looking at it?
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,647 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    @OverlyAnxious that's an interesting point about it being linked with OCD...maybe they think some people with OCD are scared of "contaminating" the planet like they are with more local/personal objects, or is that too simple a way of looking at it?
    It's not so much about contamination in this case, more about the heightened sense of responsibility that often comes with OCD. 

People with OCD often feel like they have a greater 'impact' on the world around them than each person has in reality.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    That makes sense, can't say I've ever experienced that but of course everyone is different. Funnily enough I experience the opposite, I often despair that there is nothing I can do about the way the world is and that I will never be able to change anything!
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think convenience came without a lot of thought for the environment and as we started to become more aware, you see more businesses do things like use sustainable packaging. But that can come with a huge cost.
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 755 Pioneering
    edited May 2023
    Options
    We try to do our best ... it's made a big difference since the County Council made recycling mandatory and issue £100 fines if the wrong items are in the wrong box.  Eg, plastic in the glass box

We use to chuck about 3 bin bags a week, but now household waste is every 3 weeks with we only chuck about 3 bin bags.  Big difference of stuff not going to landfill if you add up all the houses in the County.

Water wise we're very efficient, water butts for the garden ... cleaning product wise I make my own solutions from white vinegar, bicarb' and lemon juice - works on everything from alloy wheels to bathrooms.  The same for garden pests - my own alchemist trials for potions.  Just as effective if used often enough

As someone responsible for cutting down over a million trees in my career - I try to do my bit now.

Still miss gas guzzling cars tho' ... 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,544 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I recycle the rubbish in separate bins. I don't drive.
    I think we recycled better back in the day, using glass bottles for milk which was returned to reuse. Also pop bottles were given back. Wasn't much plastic in use then
  • iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, I recycle plastic, metal, glass. I give away overgrown cloths after my son. I fix things which can be fixed and reuse them again. I don’t buy any new cosmetics until I use current products fully. I sell item no longer needed as this way the item can be used by someone else. If I found what someone give away I give the item second home in my place. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.