Move from council to housing association home in same local authority: Will it affect my benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Move from council to housing association home in same local authority: Will it affect my benefits?

flatmovebenefits Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I am thinking about moving from a council flat to a housing association flat (home swap/exchange) within the same local authority. But am concerned about losing some benefits.

I receive Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
And Housing Benefit for my current property.

As well as the legacy disability premiums:

  • Disability Premium
  • Enhanced Disability Premium
  • Severe Disability Premium
Will I lose these disability premiums if I go ahead and move to the new property? And will I be taken off of ESA and placed onto Universal Credit? And if so will I retain the legacy disability premiums or lose them or will these be replaced by other benefits with different names, so that I would not lose out on the amounts I currently receive?

I understand that moving to a new address is considered a change of circumstances that must be reported.

Does anyone know for certain whether moving to a new similar home within the same local authority council would affect any of the above benefits when I would need to claim housing benefit for the new property? 

Ideally I would want my income benefits to remain the same, if I moved and made a claim for housing benefit for the new property. But if the names of the disability premiums changed on Universal Credit or were in some way included insofar as I would lose out financially or by not too much I would be content with this.

Is there any information that you can provide with evidence to point me in the right direction as to answering my concerns?      


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,593 Disability Gamechanger
    As you’re already claiming housing benefit then moving to the same local Authority will not prompt a move to UC. See link and scroll down to “moving home and taking up a new tenancy”

    Just so that you’re aware your ESA will not include the disability premium £39.85/week because it’s not paid when claiming ESA.

    For others reading this there are no disability premiums payable when claiming UC. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.