Carers allowance and Carers Premium — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance and Carers Premium

jules990 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi , I’m looking for a bit of advice . I am going to have to start claiming Carers Allowance as I will caring for my Dad . I have researched and can see I can also earn £139 per week . I’m wonder if I earn this as well as get carers allowance , is there anything else I can claim as this is still a massive drop in money . What about carers premium ?  I live with my husband who works so from what I can see I can’t get a top off of UC . Any advice appreciated , thanks x 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Carers premium is a benefit that's added to other benefits like Income Related ESA, JSA, Income Support or Pension credit. It's no longer possible to claim any of the old legacy benefits. It's not a benefit that's paid on its own.

    For you to be entitled to carers allowance your dad must be claiming a qualifing disability benefit such as either PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or AA.

    Before you claim carers allowance you need to make sure that your dad isn't claiming a Severe disability premium in another benefit. If he is and you claim Carers allowance then the SDP will stop and this could affect any other benefits he maybe claiming.

    Yes, you can earn up to £139/week when claiming CA.

    You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to UC but you'll need to put all yours and your partner details into it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jules990
    jules990 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for your  response .  

    Yes he gets enhanced PIP in both categories and does not get SDP . I have looked into all that already . 

    It  was really just advice on the benefits I was entitled to whilst earning the £139 per week .  

    Thanks again :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.