Confused over SDP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Confused over SDP

Daisy2006 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello everyone 

I claim income related ESA support group and PIP enhanced mobility and Enhanced DL. 

Well that was before I went into hospital. PIP has stopped and also the SDP of ESA.

I was living alone but when I leave hospital I will move into supported housing as I can't cope living alone.

The supported accommodation is a shared house with 2 strangers and support staff to help us with day to day living. 

I'm really confused about what I'll be entitled to benefits wise in my new home. I'm still going to be living in the same city so does that mean I stay on ESA or do I move to UC?

Also what happens with PIP and SDP?  Am I classed as living alone, as I am single as the people I share will are strangers?

Please help explain many thanks


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,810 Disability Gamechanger
    Living in supported housing means your rent will continue to be paid through housing benefit so you do not need to claim UC.

    If each of you are individually responsible for the rent then SDP can continue to be paid because they won't be part of your household. It will be down to a decision maker to make the final decision, although, they don't always get the decision right.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.