If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip for Long Covid

Options
Barnsleynanna
Barnsleynanna Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all. I applied for Pip at the beginning of May for Long Covid. Has anyone else applied for this illness? It was difficult to answer some questions … for example …. Food prep. I can cook, but because I am often short of breath and have severe coughing fits, my husband helps when I’m preparing anything which requires frying, boiling etc. also he puts my socks or tights on as I get very breathless bending down. I was told this is classed as ‘supervision’. I know it’s a new illness for pip, made more difficult by being unable to get a GP diagnosis! I have frequent chest infections, pneumonia, fatigue and joint pain, in addition to SOB. Anyone else travelling this road? 

Comments

• Tanga
    Tanga Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    I started applying for PIP but found out I'm too old as I'm past pension age. I have to go for attendance benefit instead, which I dont think I can get due to different requirements. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,057 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Tanga said:
    I started applying for PIP but found out I'm too old as I'm past pension age. I have to go for attendance benefit instead, which I dont think I can get due to different requirements. 

Yes, PIP is for those under state pension age only. For those that have reached state pension age and they are already claiming it then it will continue for as long as they remain entitled to it.

AA doesn't have the mobility part, only the care part. If you need help/support during the day or night then you maybe entitled to the lower rate. If you need help/support during the day and night then it will be the higher rate.

It can be awarded even if you don't receive that help because it's about the care you need and not the care you receive. https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/attendance-allowance/

We have some members here who claim this so hopefully they will see this and give some advice with their personal experience.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.