Hi, how will moving in together impact my and my partner's benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, how will moving in together impact my and my partner's benefits?

JacquelineElcoat Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi .I receive ESA, PIP  and live in tempery housing .I have met a partner and see him and stay over a few days a month .We have decided to take the next step and he has asked me to move in .Hes receiveing UC .for two children diasable daughter ( and DLA for her )cares allowence for her to.Will I lose my ESA or my  partner lose his UC or do we have atoo put a claim in as a couple? I'm just a little confused of what could happen and don't want to get into trouble with enefit fraud 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,829 Disability Gamechanger
    Your partner will need to report a change of circumstances on their UC journal. They will then be sent a linking code. You will then need to claim UC for yourself and use the linking code to join both claims together.

    Any Income Related ESA you're claiming will end. If you're in the Support Group then you'll be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim.

    Any contributions based ESA (£129.50/week) that maybe included with your claim will continue but it will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

    The changes to the UC will take place in the assessment period in which the changes are reported. Your UC will include all the elements he currently receives but the standard allowance will be couples rate and also the LCWRA element will be incuded.

    If you're claiming help with any rent through housing benefit then you will need to report the changes and this will stop.

    Your PIP won't be affected. If he's currently claiming single person discount for his council tax then he will need to report the changes and he will no longer be entitled to that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @JacquelineElcoat and a warm welcome to our online community, I hope you are keeping well.

    Did Poppy's reply help you better understand how moving in together would impact you and your partner?

    Just to let you know, I've sent you a little email - which is nothing to worry about - if you could check that and reply when you have time. I've also tweaked your thread title and moved it to our Benefits and financial support category to help others find it.

    Best wishes and have a great weekend.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.