Single 41yo Male Housing Options — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Single 41yo Male Housing Options

HiDe_X_JP Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi, I'm a single 41 year old male and with mental health problems on ESA and PIP, I've been living with my stepfather since my mother passed but he's wanting me out and his name is on the tenancy agreement... Can anyone help with who to contact to try and assist me with finding somewhere as I've had no luck with private rentals etc. Thanx


  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Local housing association is probably your best place to start.  They're different across the country so you'll have to find the one covering your area.

    Being completely honest though, a single male with no dependents or physical health conditions is likely to be very low on the priority list.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @HiDe_X_JP How are you today?

    I'm sorry your current housing situation isn't better. Shelter have this advice page on 'How to apply for council housing' , although sadly @OverlyAnxious is right, in there being a real shortage of social housing and very lengthy waiting lists. 

    It might be wise to contact Shelter using one of their various contact methods to get their qualified advice specific to your circumstances.

    Please do keep us posted with how you get on. Take care.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Stellar
    Stellar Community member Posts: 109 Courageous
    first thing you need to do is go to your local council and present as homeless so they'll put you in temporary accommodation and the list for social housing.

    you will need to get your stepdad to write a letter saying that he wants you to leave and is not open to mediation.

    the council will try and gatekeep you and be as obstructive as possible in the hope you give up and look elsewhere, but for someone in your position you have no choice but to persist with them.

    look up on the advice on shelter's website so you know your rights, and don't give up.

    good luck!
  • Stellar
    Stellar Community member Posts: 109 Courageous
    OverlyAnxious said:
    Being completely honest though, a single male with no dependents or physical health conditions is likely to be very low on the priority list.
    Not true. It depends on the council, plus as OP is on ESA/PIP that will work on his favour. If he is formally diagnosed with said mental illnesses, that will help even more.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.