Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Read all about it? The destructive disability narrative filling our papers.
On the 26 May 2023, Scope published an open letter to the media calling out a slew of recent headlines unfairly targeting disability benefit claimants.
Replete with outdated stereotypes of disabled people as ‘lazy’ and a ‘burden on taxpayers’, these provocative soundbites place the blame firmly at an individual level, overlooking multiple factors contributing to relying on social security – needless the obvious, that we are all temporarily able-bodied.
As Scope state:
Today, Scope has tweeted citing another incendiary newspaper article, namely The Telegraph’s 'How much your salary bankrolls the welfare state’ piece and calculator calling it ‘irresponsible’ in repeating the burden rhetoric.
📣 This harmful narrative about disabled people must end.— Scope (@scope) June 2, 2023
It’s time to ditch the 'burden' rhetoric for good.
Coverage like this is irresponsible. It has a direct impact on how disabled people see themselves and how others see them. https://t.co/InGIY6pwLJ
Over to you:
- Have you noticed an uptick in news coverage attacking disability benefit claimants?
- Does the angle, and language used in coverage, impact you?
- Does the framing of welfare claimants determine what newspapers you read?
Want to tell us about your experience on the online community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
- All Categories
- 12.8K Start here and say hello!
- 6.5K Coffee lounge
- 33 Games room
- 422 Cost of living
- 4.4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.9K Research and opportunities
- 209 Community updates
- 9.1K Talk about your situation
- 2.1K Children, parents, and families
- 1.5K Work and employment
- 784 Education
- 1.6K Housing and independent living
- 1.4K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 609 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 370 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 756 Transport and travel
- 30.3K Talk about money
- 4.2K Benefits and financial support
- 5.1K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 16.4K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 4.6K Universal Credit (UC)
- 6.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.8K Cerebral palsy
- 855 Chronic pain and pain management
- 156 Physical and neurological impairments
- 1.1K Autism and neurodiversity
- 1.2K Mental health and wellbeing
- 322 Sensory impairments
- 815 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions