How do I make my bedroom entitlement official? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do I make my bedroom entitlement official?

Options
DeeDee3542
DeeDee3542 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited June 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello everyone, I am sorry but I am a little confused. I am disabled and recieve UC with LCFW and also high rate daily living and high rate mobility PIP. I currently live in a 2 bedroom house with my 13 year old Autistic daughter who also cannot share a room because of her own disabled needs. 
I am looking to do a mutual exchange as my mum is currently staying here with us in order to care for me 5 nights per week and I am hoping to exchange to a 3 bed so that she can have her own room when she stays as staying on my sofa is a strain on my mum who is already caring for me. My mum also works full time so I don’t think she can apply for carers allowance as she earns too much so this makes me wonder how we would go about proving to them that she is my carer.  
How do I go about making the need for a a bedroom for her as my carer official ie. Do I need to apply to universal credit for this first and just resend all my medical evidence or would I just need to tell the social housing landlord when the exchange paperwork is put through? 
Sorry all these changes to the benefit systems have me quite confused. 
Thank you in advance for any advice. 
Dee

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello there @DeeDee3542 and thanks for reaching out, I'm afraid this isn't my area of expertise, so I can't advise at the moment, but you are always welcome to contact the Scope Helpline by phone or email to chat to one of our advisers. 

How are you all doing at the moment? :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,149 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For the extra bedroom entitlement with housing element of UC then you can report a change od circumstances on your journal and tell them you need an extra bedroom for a carer.

For your house exchange then you will very likely need to send evidence to your landlord as to why the extra bedroom is needed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • DeeDee3542
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies. I understand now. We are okay thank you. I hope you’re okay too 😊 
    @poppy123456 could I please ask what sort of evidence you think they may ask for here? 
    Thank you again. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,149 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don’t think they ask for evidence for the housing element. They may ask for evidence for the 3 bed house but you will need to speak to your Landlord regarding that. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • DeeDee3542
    Options
    Thank you, I feel a bit better about all this now. I will speak to my landlord and contact uc with a change of circumstances. Thanks again. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you been able to speak to these people yet @DeeDee3542? If so, I am wondering if you would like to share a little more with us about how this has gone for you and if there's anything else we can do to help  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.