Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Carers Allowance

Donboy Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi I wonder if anyone can help. My son has applied for carers allowance for me. He is currently on study leave from school and is doing  GCSEs his last exam is 16th June. Will thr DWP class him as being in full time education.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,164 Disability Gamechanger
    He will be classed as a full time education and will be unable to claim carers allowance for looking after you.

    Are you also claiming a Severe disability Premium in another benefit? If so then if someone claims Carers allowance or carers element of UC for looking after you then you will lose the SDP.

    Are you claiming child Tax credits for your son?

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Donboy
    Donboy Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Hi @poppy123456. No I am claiming UC
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.