Smart pay as you go meter — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Smart pay as you go meter

Options
sunflower2
sunflower2 Community member Posts: 67 Courageous
edited June 2023 in Cost of living
Hi 

Our prepayment meter went faulty last week and an engineer came out to try and fix it but he said it does need to be replaced as it's gone so he said we had 2 options we can either have a traditional prepayment meter like the one we have now but we will have to pay for it as British gas don't get supply of them anymore and so they are chargeable because they have to buy them or we could have a smart pay as you go and these are free. 

Well as mom is on benefits she agreed to the smart meter option because we can't afford to pay for a traditional one. 

He's supposed to be coming this morning but yesterday we were told that we shouldn't have to pay for a traditional one to be installed so I'm not sure what the truth is here.

And we have read stories online of people saying their credit ran out quicker with a smart pay as you go meter compared to the traditional prepayment meter but everything I read online says there should be no difference in cost as a smart pay as you go meter will still cost the same when using electric as a traditional one so we're confused anyone know what's the truth in all this

Comments

• sunflower2
    sunflower2 Community member Posts: 67 Courageous
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I should also state that mom is ok to have a smart pay as you go meter as long as it won't cost her more money as in that the credit she puts on now still lasts as long as it did with our current prepayment meter. 

British gas said that her tariff is the same it's just the meter changing so there won't be any difference which is what she was worried about seeing people on another forum saying that their top up doesn't last as long on a smart prepayment but we were told that it should remain the same as our tariff is the same and the charges are the same. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Hello @sunflower2

I'm afraid I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area, but Scope's Disability Energy Support do. 

I would encourage you to reach out. You can give them a call on 0808 801 0828 or email Disability.EnergySupport@scope.org.uk.
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.