Bit of fun: describe your dream house — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bit of fun: describe your dream house

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,812 Disability Gamechanger
Mine would be a really old cottage, not massive, maybe 2-3 bedrooms. Wooden beams in the ceilings and wooden pillars in the downstairs rooms. A bit "rickety", the sort of place you bang your head if you are not careful, not that I like banging my head just thats how I can describe it. :D

Outside...a little bit of land...mature cottage garden with lots of flowers and a couple of trees, also fruit trees, and an allotment and herb garden.

What about you? :) 

Comments

• 66Mustang
    Options
    I got an AI art generator to "draw" my cottage. :D 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,563 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That looks lovely @66Mustang
    I've always fancied a farm house with barn parties.

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think it comes at no surprise that my dream home would have a library  :D
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope a late relative had a "library" of sorts, they didn't have a big house with numerous rooms, which only highlights the devotion to books even more in my opinion, using up a whole room meant foregoing a significant amount of the house!! As children we weren't allowed in but dod go in a couple of times and it was quite amazing!!

So I think it can be done!! Nowadays people have rooms just for gaming or watching TV so I would say a room for books is equally if not more worthy. :)
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I always wonder why we don't have houses with basements like they do in the US. I can see more people having like you said, tv rooms, gaming rooms...etc without having to lose the footprint in width or length, 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    That would make sense to me, in fact to me it makes more sense to have a basement in the UK where land is at much more of a premium than the US, would make better space of the limited room we have available.

Maybe there's a reason we don't have basements here? I know of some relatives' houses with cellars but they are all older houses.
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 755 Pioneering
    Options
    Lots and lots of glass.  Open plan with a double fronted chimney serving the kitchen and lounge.  A dedicated sound proof room for listening to music ... A large entrance hall for a huge Christmas tree, large landscaped grounds with different styles in different areas and a large wildflower meadow.

And a workshop I can potter around in on the good days And, and ... 

... not that I've given it much thought

A basement ?  I've seen too many films where bad things happen ... but I'd be safe 'cos I'm not pretty anymore  :p
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    WelshBlue said:
    A basement ?  I've seen too many films where bad things happen ... but I'd be safe 'cos I'm not pretty anymore  :p
    Ha ha reminds me of something I said on a watch forum once.

Someone made a thread asking if people conceal their watch when in certain areas to avoid theft. I said no I am the sort of person that people hide their watch when they see me.
  • rustledjimm
    rustledjimm Community member Posts: 91 Pioneering
    Options
    More bathrooms than bedrooms.

Yes I have Crohns.
    ADHD and Crohn's Disease
    Aspiring to lot's of things but one step at a time, Crohn's sorted, sorting ADHD, then life to sort!
    Prefers they/them but am fine with he/him
  • rustledjimm
    Options
    66Mustang said:

Maybe there's a reason we don't have basements here? I know of some relatives' houses with cellars but they are all older houses.
    I am no architect and actually have very little experience in construction, but my initial thoughts are their houses are mostly wood/plastic while ours are a shell of brick. So our houses are heavier, which means the foundations must be more stable or stronger, and digging what is essentially a big hole/cave underneath the house would make that process far more expensive.

Another factor could be the ground, given in much of the south it's just chalk and clay for example. Might not be conducive to basement co

ADHD and Crohn's Disease
    Aspiring to lot's of things but one step at a time, Crohn's sorted, sorting ADHD, then life to sort!
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Makes sense to me @rustledjimm

PS your ideal house made me laugh
  • rustledjimm
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I am not sure how this message sent again almost 20 minutes later. I apologise
    ADHD and Crohn's Disease
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 755 Pioneering
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Adding in basements is becoming more frequent in cities ... it can add upto 50% more floorspace.

Simply put,  the existing foundations need to be underpinned to take the extra weight then the inner space excavating, walls tanking (waterproofing) ... and trust that your builder doesn't collapse your house  :p

Building one from scratch for a new build is as relatively straight forward as digging a big/ deep enough hole for the foundations before building up and tanking.  They reckon less chance of subsidence the lower you go for your foundations because of less ground swell/ shrink ?

Planning permission from some local authorities seems to be the biggest stumbling block, which is strange refusing something you can't see lol

My dream house would also have an observatory to marvel at the night skies
  • ClaraSais
    ClaraSais Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Options
    Honestly? Just a house with an annexe and two bathrooms and good access with a smaller more manageable garden :)
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Sounds good @ClaraSais I know what you mean, I wouldn't want a massive house like a mansion, even if I could afford it, manageable seems better :)
  • Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 185 Pioneering
    Options
    Mine is a bungalow or a house if the master suite can be made downstairs.

Lovely large kitchen plenty of room to move around in my wheelchair with other people in the room as well, furnishes with all the white goods and a large range cooker.

A dining room large enough to seat 20 or so, so that we can get all the in-laws in to eat with us.

A laundry room with a big butches.butler sink in it so that we can put the dog in to bath him safely and a screened room that can be used year round to hang the laundry to line-dry when washed.

A large lounge that has an open fire or a log burner, large TV, massive book case, speakers in the ceiling for surround sound, room for me to have a recliner to be able to use the room.

Storage cupboard that can house all my mobility equipment with plugs to charge my electric wheelchair.

Toilet and washbasin for guests to use.

Master bedroom with storage for bedding and TV, dressing room with all the wardrobes in, full bathroom toilet, washbasin, bath with hoist to get me in and out when I fancy one, large wet-room/shower corner for my day-to-day hygiene needs.

A home gym for my physiotherapy needs.

At least three bedrooms with bathrooms for guests and one that is more of a self-contained studio/bedsit (kitchen, bath/shower room, bed) for live-in carers to use when not needed to help me so they do not have to join in with family/friends time if anyone wants time-out (using a wireless doorbell so I can call for help when I need it if no one else is in the house to be sent to get them).

A large work room/attic/basement/man cave for the other half to have some room for himself.

A four factor garden, I need a space for the dog to run around and go toilet without having to have anyone else go on it apart from to cut the grass down and pick up the poop.  A patio area for outdoor eating, barbeque etc, a wildlife safe area with pond where we can put beehives and a large formal kitchen garden with greenhouse/poly tunnel to be able to be as self feeding as possible.

It also needs to be off grid so solar, wind and rainwater capture and then the used water going through reed bed filtration systems before being released into the pond or local river so we pull as little from the mains systems as possible,

And hopefully having all the in-laws living close by in the same community so we don't live in the same house but have a commune type situation where we can be together or apart as each of us feels at the time.

Sorry I don'y have a drawing/picture but hope you all get an idea in your own heads..

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.