What stops you being more eco-friendly? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What stops you being more eco-friendly?

Options
Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger

The brilliant Melissa Parker's Greenpeace blog confronts the barriers many disabled people face in trying to be more eco-conscious.

Starting at the point of inaccessible climate summits, to the banning of plastic straws which many disabled people rely on, the exclusion of impaired bodies from environmentally friendly initiatives is stark.

On car-free cycle routes intended to prevent motorbike access by having barriers, Melissa speaks to Harriet who uses a tricycle to get about: 
“I am... excluded from these routes, which is a really painful feeling. Local authorities know that these barriers are discriminatory, but they also know that they are ineffective.” The people on motorbikes tend to be non-disabled, so they can “manoeuvre through or around the barriers.”

Over to you

You might have come across your own obstacles to being more 'green', whether condition-related or otherwise. If so, why not share? 

And if you are a master in the art of being eco-friendly, give us some tips. It all makes a difference :)
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,744 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Can I say that money is the main reason for me?

I think this is still a disability-related reason, because I can't work to earn a good salary, as a result of disability.

We all know it costs more money to be eco-friendly and put simply I often can't afford the eco-friendly option.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @66Mustang No, that's an entirely valid response! And I find that too in the current cost of living crisis. The more eco-friendly choices, such as washing powder etc, are just beyond my budget. The will to live more sustainable is there, but in practice it's easier for those more privileged, and non-disabled.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,744 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Cher_Scope yes you are right, washing powder was something I had in mind too, ha ha, also the posh eco-friendly Method cleaning products. Then of course things like electric cars which cost so much to buy, and of course require a house with a drive, which is vastly more expensive than a flat or terraced house.

Having said all that I did have a think since I posted my post and not everything is more expensive, I realise I make some eco-friendly choices as a result of being poor...e.g. mending things, like clothes or appliances, instead of buying new; also not using the heating and electrics unnecessarily...etc... :)
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    Can I say that money is the main reason for me?

I think this is still a disability-related reason, because I can't work to earn a good salary, as a result of disability.
    We as state pension recipients and both of us being accredited as being disabled by the DWP have no need to top up our weekly income. Approx 80% of our weekly income comes from the State Pensions and other welfare benefits. I agree that pensioners are having a field day with the level of income that they can obtain given the right circumstances and appropriate claims in place.

Between us our net income is well over £800 a week and that includes a small means tested contribution  of £65 a week. Gross that up and it equates to a gross salary of over £61,000 per annum.

We are very fortunate in that being eco friendly is what we do week in week out.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.