If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Jessica

JessicaAndMe Community member Posts: 2 Listener

I am currently receiving Universal Credit and PIP that was related to mental health. I have since in May been diagnosed with: Sciatica left leg, Frozen shoulder, Severe Bladder incontinence. I had an MRI for cauda equina and I'm waiting to hear back from them. 

After my spinal injury my mobility is very reduced, I am not able to do half of what I did before my diagnosis and now I find walking very painful even to the front of my door and back. I never really complained about things and it's just all gotten on top of me now. I feel like a shell and that I isolate my self, don't talk to people and don't connect with anyone at all anymore. I'm undergoing assesments for ASD privately and I feel very alone in all of this and quite ashamed at the state of my health.. I do not know if this is a common thing to feel so much shame but it's crippling.

Would I be entitled to help and support?
What kind would it be?
Do I qualify now for DLA?
 What has changed do I need to update DWP or PIP?


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,264 Disability Gamechanger
    You can't claim DLA because it no longer exists. PIP has replaced it, which you're already claiming. You should only report changes to your conditions, if it's possible you can score more points for a higher award.

    Reporting changes means they will send you more forms to fill in and return with all your supporting evidence. Another assessment is most likely because most people have them. Once a decision is made your award could either increase, decrease, stay the same or stop completely. A worsening of condition doesn't automatically entitle you to more points for a higher award. Out of interest, what award do you currently have?

    Have you reported your health condition for UC and sent in a fit note to support this? Doing this will mean you will be referred for a work capability assessment. If found to have LCWRA you will be entitled to extra money from the 4th month after you reported your health condition. (unless you're claiming with a partner that already receives the LCWRA element on your claim)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.