Feeling Overwhelmed by noise from upstairs — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Feeling Overwhelmed by noise from upstairs

Options
JamieLeeSAMPLE
JamieLeeSAMPLE Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
So frist I am a 43 single man with Autism. And I’ve been living in my flat for a few years however there few teething issues and had I issues with a previous neighbour however was easily rectified. How a new person moved and spends all day swearing at a game he is very loud. I spoke him and my housing offer who  said not so many words I have get used to the noise . (Despite my noise sensitivity) the other day other day he was screaming so loud I could hear as I was walking in the door. And I had an Autisic meltdown. He  said I should  be moved. Despite me explaining that due to there not being one bed houses. And would have  to pay bedroom tax if I went into a two bedroom house. I fell trapped by the whole and I ended retreating into one to try escape the noise I don’t know what to do

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,710 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This is the problem when living in a flat with people above you, as i've experienced this myself where i previously lived. It really wasn't nice at all and i could literally hear everything from just hearing the kettle boil and pulling the flush. The noise was louder when the person above me had visits from his father.

Unfortunately, i don't think there's an easy answer because you can't just stop people from living their life. If it was loud music all day and night then that would be different.

The only answer really would be to live in a house but then you may have people next door who could be loud, if you have thin walls.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,647 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've got a similar issue since a new neighbour moved in.  The previous one was away a lot (for work I guess) so there wasn't much noise but now it's every day and I think my own noise sensitivity may be worse now than a few years ago as well.

As Poppy says though, we can't expect people to stop living their own lives so I don't think there's really anything we can do.  I just keep hoping to move to a more suitable property as soon as possible.

I have considered writing a polite note to them.  Though I'm worried that'll just make things worse.  I see online that a lot of people actively try to be more inconsiderate if they're asked to be quieter.  I don't understand why anyone would do that, though I've always hated causing any sort of nuisance or impact on other people myself.
  • JamieLeeSAMPLE
    JamieLeeSAMPLE Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I have a letter from a psych explaining my noise sensitivity and housing association where aware of my Autisum before they moved him in to top it the guy has Personalty disorder. Which can mean he can going into rages I think the housing association didn’t consider this when they moved him in that it would cause distress I ve emailed to if they is a way sound proof my flat so I didn’t hear him.other wise I am going to have a mental break down.I am writing now as his snoring is keeping me awake.
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, how are you? 
    Have you tried any noise reduction solutions, like Loop earplugs, or noise cancelling headphones to help, as a temporary measure until the council replies or a more permanent solution is found? 
    I have found Loop earplugs to be amazing for when I am out and about, as the reduce the noise but I am still able to engage in conversations, so it does not drown out noise completely, just tones it down. 
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,710 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    letitgo said:
    Get legal aid and a solicitor

For what exactly?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.