If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

WCA - Severe Conditions Criteria

Options
JonnycJonny
JonnycJonny Scope Member Posts: 144 Pioneering
edited June 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
Found the following from a DWP report dated July 2021 - is the information still true regarding repeat WCAs or has it been updated since then ?

"People in the Support Group ESA and UC with limited capability for work and work-related activity (LCWRA) who had a WCA from 29 September 2017 will no longer need routine repeat WCAs if that assessment finds that they:

have a severe, lifelong disability, illness or health condition and are unlikely to ever be able to move into work

This is referred to as the Severe Conditions criteria. People who have been assessed since September 2017 have been told if they meet these criteria they will no longer be required to attend routine repeat WCAs.

In November 2020, 130,000 people receiving ESA had met the Severe Conditions criteria. 1,240,000 people receiving ESA had been assessed since the introduction of the criteria. Therefore 10% of people receiving ESA who have been assessed since the introduction of the criteria will no longer need routine repeat WCAs.

120,000 people have met the Severe Conditions criteria at ESA WCAs up to March 2020 "

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,162 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The severe conditions group still applies and only those in this group will be excluded from reviews.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JonnycJonny
    Options
    Would an ESA85 or UC85 say if you had been put in this group ?
  • JonnycJonny
    Options
    Or at least recommended for this group by the assessor - given that it is the DWP who make the final decision.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,162 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Would an ESA85 or UC85 say if you had been put in this group ?

Yes it should be recommended and then if awarded then it will tell you in the decision letter. I don't believe you can be placed into this group through substantial risk.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2023
    Options
  • JonnycJonny
    Options
    Thank you for confirming that any such recommendation would be set out in the ESA85 or UC85.

• JonnycJonny
    Options
    Thank you Calcotti - the links you provide cover it all succinctly.
  • trb10
    trb10 Community member Posts: 63 Connected
    Options
    My assessor's report recommended that I have fulfilled the criteria for severe condition but my letter from UC states "We may ask you to attend another WCA in the future" so not sure if that means UC took into account the recommendation or not.
  • JonnycJonny
    Options
    Thank you for your input - I had a feeling the actual decision letter might keep the wording 'We may ask you to attend another WCA in the future'. Being an ongoing award, I suppose the DWP always maintain the right to reassess - albeit highly unlikely when someone meets the severe condition criteria.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.