ESA medical report - UC claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA medical report - UC claim

Options
Jonnyc
Jonnyc Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
Will my ESA medical report prognosis - 'work unlikely in the longer term' - be carried over automatically when my claim for UC is complete or will I have to point it out to Job Centre staff ?

I am a UC newbie having just got New Style ESA.

Thank you

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What group are in on your ESA claim or are you waiting for a decision?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Jonnyc
    Options
    I am in the Support Group - already claiming. The medical report states I have severe functional disability.
  • calcotti
    Options
    What is carried across to UC is your Support Group status as LCWRA in UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Jonnyc
    edited June 2023
    Options
    So the reference to 'no further assessment' and 'work unlikely in the longer term' will not apply under UC ? As far I can tell I was recommended for the severe condition category - though admittedly the Support Group award letter makes no mention of it ?  Maybe this category does not exist under LCWRA.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,608 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Jonnyc said:
    So the reference to 'no further assessment' and 'work unlikely in the longer term' will not apply under UC ? As far I can tell I was recommended for the severe condition category - though admittedly the Support Group award letter makes no mention of it ?  Maybe this category does not exist under LCWRA.

Yes it will be because it's the same for LCWRA as they are exactly the same process. However, i would have expected your decision letter to advise you of this so you should check with ESA that no further assessments are needed. The report is a recommendation only.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jonnyc
    edited June 2023
    Options
    The decision letter only talks about the payments and that I meet the Support Group eligibility criteria.

Do these letters normally give a reasoning from the DM ? 

• Jonnyc
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I will check with ESA as requesting the ESA85a has misled me, perhaps.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Jonnyc said:

Do these letters normally give a reasoning from the DM ? 

No but with the severe conditions group i've heard the decisions letters specifically state no further reviews needed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Jonnyc
    Options
    ESA85A states 'The client's condition is unlikely to improve and is consistent with a severe condition as defined. As per departmental policy no further assessment applies'.

Couldn't be clearer but given what you say I should be prepared for the Job Centre to send out a UC50 at some stage in years to come. I think I will get through the UC claim process before getting back to ESA.

Thank you for your input 

• poppy123456
    Options
    Jonnyc said:

but given what you say I should be prepared for the Job Centre to send out a UC50 at some stage in years to come.

That’s actually not what I said. If the severe conditions group applies then the same will apply when you claim UC. 

However, the ESA85a is the assessment report with a recommendation only. Only a decision maker can make that decision. 
  • Jonnyc
    Options
    Not what you said - what I naturally inferred from your response. Hoping the DM went with the recommendation - otherwise why have a WCA ?

Meanwhile I must now focus on the UC claim.

Best wishes 

• calcotti
    Options
    Jonnyc said:
    Not what you said - what I naturally inferred from your response. Hoping the DM went with the recommendation - otherwise why have a WCA ?
    The DM is expected to take into account all the information available in connection with the claim. The WCA report is part of that information.
  • poppy123456
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Jonnyc said:

Meanwhile I must now focus on the UC claim.

Best wishes 

The WCA is to gather more information to support your claim. Mostly they go with the report but it has been known for them to go against it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.