Grants/ Financial Support — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Grants/ Financial Support

Options
CookieM95
CookieM95 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi everyone, 

I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction, I am desperately trying to find an Orthopaedic Mattress to help me with my disabilities, I am currently not sleeping properly and spend more nights on my sofa than I do in my bed due to tossing and turning. I just want to be able to sleep in my bed and not wake up in pain. I don't even know if an Orthopaedic Mattress is the best one for my back. I have never had to buy a mattress myself so completely new to this whole mess.

I have tried doing research on grants or funding that is around, but most charities want a support worker or something along those lines to do the paperwork. Trying to get any of my professionals to actually help is like trying to find a Unicorn or Big Foot! 

I am claiming UC and PIP, and I am waiting for a change of circumstances reassessment on this. I am in full-time education, I start my second year at University in September. 

I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction of support I may not have thought of!

Thank you in advance

N
Tagged:

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @CookieM95

Welcome to the community :) I'm so sorry to hear you haven't been sleeping well. I would suggest speaking to your GP about this too. Just to see if they have anything to suggest, or even if they know of any company the NHS works with. 

I don't know about any grants or financial support at the moment. I will tag your post as unanswered in the hopes someone comes across it or I come across something and can comment back. 

I did wonder though, would a mattress topper work? I have seen them be a little more cost effective for the same result. I also wondered, with you going to University, is there any funding with the University that would help?
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @CookieM95. Did you manage to find a suitable solution?

I hope you've already found something, but if not, Scope have lots of information on our website about finding and applying for grants and there is also the Disability Grant website which may have grants that can help in your situation.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.