If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Hi, my name is MKI! Confused in regards to the Carers element of UC

Options
MKI
MKI Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited June 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello 

I am confused in regards to the Carers element of UC. If I work and they put a claim for Carers element are you going to be deducted or remain the same amount on claim or better off? 

My partner is in receipt of Pip and LCWRA, thanks  

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,197 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Carers element is part of UC and will increase your maximum UC entitlement by £185.86/month. There's no earnings limit when claiming Carers element like this is when claiming carers allowance.

You don't need to claim carers allowance to be entitled to carer element. If you claim carers allowance then it will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement and there's an earnings limit of £139/week.

Your partner must be claiming daily living PIP and you need to be caring for them for at least 35 hours/week.

If you start working you will need to report a change of circumstances and tell them you're working.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MKI
    Options
    Hi thankyou I am currently working and partner has pip and Lcwra. I am unsure when I report this change if it will affect his LCWRA and we will be deducted if I apply for carers element, thanks 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,197 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It will not affect his LCWRA element. Carers element will not be deducted. As I advised it increases your maximum UC entitlement.

log into your UC  journal and click “report a change in circumstances “ then click “caring for someone” and report it through that. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MKI
    Options
    Thankyou have done 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,734 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @MKI and a warm welcome to our online community, how's your day going?

I can see that Poppy has helped answer your question, please let us know if you remain unsure about anything else.

Just to advise: I've moved your thread to our Universal Credit (UC) category and amended the title to help others find it more easily.

Take care and all the best.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.