My Son who works full-time wants to move in with me how will this affect my current benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My Son who works full-time wants to move in with me how will this affect my current benefits?

Options
caroline1976
caroline1976 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me, my 26 year old son who works full-time has just recently spilt from his partner and wants to move in with me. 

I'm single/disabled and currently live in a 2 bedroom housing association apartment.  I would be grateful if some could please tell me how this will affect my current benefits which are outlined below.

I'm in receipt of:

Housing Benefit
ESA/Support group contribution based
Universal Credit
PIP Enhanced daily/motabiliy 

If anyone could please help or guide me before I contact the benefits office I would be grateful. 

Regards

Caroline

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,808 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Unless you’re living in either supported or temporary housing then your rent will be paid in with your UC known as housing element. Housing benefit is a completely different benefit.

If you’re currently affected by the bedroom tax because you have a spare bedroom then your son moving back in will mean you will no longer be affected by this. You will need to report the changes on your UC journal. 

As your PIP includes the daily living part there will be no non dependent deductions from your UC.

If you’re claiming single person discount for council tax then you will no longer be entitled to this when your son moves in. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • caroline1976
    Options
    Hi Poppy,

Thank you so much for your quick reply, yes I'm currently receiving the housing element of universal credit, so even if my son works full-time I can still receive my ESA contribution based reward? Just to confirm because I'm in receipt of daily living part of pip there will be no non dependent deductions from my UC? I don't my mind paying council tax as long as the rest of my benefits won't be seriously affected.

Regards

Caroline 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Your ESA and PIP are not affected.

Does your PIP include Daily Living?

You say Housing Benefit and Universal Credit. Can you clarify if you are actually getting both those or are you actually getting the housing element of UC. The rules are different.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • caroline1976
    Options
    Hi Poppy,

Yes I receive the daily living part of PIP,  I've just checked my universal credit payment statement.  Universal credit is paying my rent directly to my housing association landlord, I'm only receiving the housing element of UC.

Regards

Caroline 

• calcotti
    edited June 2023
    Options
    You said you have a two bedroom property. At the moment you have one ‘spare’ bedroom so I expect your UC to reduce your housing element to include a deduction of14% of the rent because of the spare bedroom.

When he moves in the second bedroom will no longer be spare so your housing element should cover all of the rent.

Normally he would be expected to make a contribution towards the rent which would reduce your housing element. However because of your Daily Living PIP he will not be expected to contribute. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • caroline1976
    Options
    Hi Poppy,

Thank you so much for all your help it's very much appreciated.  I've been so worried over the past few days, thank you for everything.

Caroline x
  • calcotti
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Deleted
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @caroline1976 Welcome to the community and I'm so glad our members could eliminate some of that worry and stress you've been holding. And breathee!

Wishing you and your son all the best for the future. And FYI: I've moved your thread to our Benefits and financial support category to help others find it more easily.

Take care.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • caroline1976
    Options
    Thank you very much.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.