Questions about the upcoming UC biographical appointment I have scheduled for this Thursday. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Questions about the upcoming UC biographical appointment I have scheduled for this Thursday.

Options
danielbryan94
danielbryan94 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited June 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
On Thursday 15th June, I applied for Universal Credit for the first time. I'm 28 years old, and I've never been employed my whole life. I'm currently on enhanced PIP because of my cognitive and physical disabilities, and I receive £691 a month from it. I applied for Universal Credit just because I wanted more money in my bank account. This morning, I received an email from Universal Credit, saying that I have a scheduled biographical appointment this Thursday at 9:25am. I have a few questions I want to ask before it takes place.

1. How long does the biographical appointment call usually take?

2. Would I be allowed help from at least one of my parents in answering the questions the person conducting the appointment asks in case I struggle with the answer?

3. In the "Proof of your identity" segment of the "Prepare for and attend your Biographical appointment by phone" page, will I need documents from both of the lists that say "Bring 1 of the following" and "Bring 2 of the following"? I've lived in the UK my whole life, and I currently assume that the "Bring 1 of the following" list is only for people who immigrated to the UK.

4. Is "Proof of your EU settled status" only for people who immigrated to the UK?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,701 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2023
    Options
    1/ Shouldn't be too long, 10-15 minutes, potentially longer. You will need to agree to your claimant commiments too.

2/ Yes, you can have one of your parents with you for suppoort.

3/ Passport/Driving license or bank card will be fine.

4/ Proof of settled status doesn't apply to you if you were born in the UK.

Did you report your health condition when you claimed? If so then you'll need to make sure that you provide a fit note within 7 days of that and continue to send them without any gaps until a decision is made on your work capability assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • danielbryan94
    edited June 2023
    Options
    1/ Shouldn't be too long, 10-15 minutes, potentially longer. You will need to agree to your claimant commiments too.

Did you report your health condition when you claimed? If so then you'll need to make sure that you provide a fit note within 7 days of that and continue to send them without any gaps until a decision is made on your work capability assessment.
    No I've never sent a fit note. Would I need to send one, even if I've been unemployed my whole life? Would I also need to send in fit notes every 7 days?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If your health condition limits your capability to work then yes you will need to report your health condition. You will then need to report a fit note within 7 days of reporting your health condition. How often you will need to send them will depend on how long the date is for on the fit note.

Being unemployed your whole life makes no difference. When claiming UC you're classed as a job seeker until a decision is made on your work capability assessment. It's a work coaches discretion to either turn off or reduce work commiments while you wait for a decision. Some do and others don't.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • danielbryan94
    Options

No I've never sent a fit note. Would I need to send one, even if I've been unemployed my whole life? Would I also need to send in fit notes every 7 days?
    Do you think it's best if I do the fit note before my phone call on Thursday?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You need to report a change of circumstances first. Then click "health condition" then report it through there. You will then need a fit note within 7 days of that.
    The sooner you do this the better because once a decision is made on your work capability assessment if found to have LCWRA the extra money is paid from the 4th month after you reported your health condition.(supported by a fit note)
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How have things been going @danielbryan94, was the phone call alright? :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,647 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can't advise on the assessment process but just wanted to add that Universal Credit isn't just useful for more money in your account. 

It also gives you national insurance which is needed for the state pension if & when you reach that age.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.