ct guided nerve root injection - lumber

6080 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
Hi all, I am booked in to have a procedure called CT guided nerve root injection in my lumber spine at the end of July (it's been a years wait for this) The problem area I have is in my L5/S1. This is because I have grade ll spondylolisthesis and foraminal stenosis with nerve impingement causing the usual sciatic pain with dead legs climbing stairs or walking at distance along with stinging burning pain and numbness. My questions are as follows;
 has anyone had this procedure done and what can I expect during the procedure e.g. how long did it take from start to finish, did it hurt and what was the result i.e. did these injections work for you, did it help cure the pain and was it worth it? 

Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 56,636 Championing
    Hi @6080 good luck with your injection. I don't know if others members have this procedure. I have had injections in my spine in the past. For different reasons. 
    Its hard to go by some one else's experience, as two people having the same procedures, can have different effects from each other. 
    Hi, thanks for getting in touch . Yep, very true.  I've read mixed reviews online although the injections were given for a different reason, like you mention.
     I suppose I'm a bit nervous of the procedure but think I  will feel a bit calmer about it if it has been worthwhile for someone i.e. a positive outcome . 
  • Sandy_123
    What will this injection do for you, I'm presuming it is to improve your situation or is it for pain
    I believe it's a nerve blocker. Its something to do with reducing the inflammation around the nerves so should stop the pain travelling but does come with risks 
  • Sandy_123
    Yes I think every op comes with a risk, is this your first one?  I can understand you being nervous about having it done. Everyone at the Hospital will look after you and put you at ease. 
    Yeah first one. I've waited such a long time for it. I was referred about a year ago. Meanwhile, I've been having physio during the wait and as much as it's helped ease the stiffness etc , it just doesn't cure the actual nerve pain, this is hopefully what these injections should tackle. How did you find your spinal injections if you don't mind me asking, did it help you in any way? 
  • Sandy_123
    Mine did help but only for a short time. I had 2 and both  only helped for a short time. Like weeks rather then months. Drs decided it wasn't worth it just for a short time and I had to agree. 
    But that doesn't mean yours will be like that. I hope it works better for you
    That's a pity. I'd imagine it will have felt quite disappointing to only offer short term relief. Then again, even that short spell will have made such a difference, a bit of relaxation at the time,  I'm sure.
     I have no idea how long these are expected to last but as you mention, everyone is different. I hoping for a good few months . The hospital is quite a distance away to travel too and I'm obviously not allowed to drive afterwards so its a hassle but hopefully will be worth it! 
  • Sandy_123
    It was great but after a week, i was like oh no. Back to not being able to bend or do what I liked. 
    It is a hassle going to the hospital and having procedures, I hope you got some one to support you home after. 
    So now I just put up with it, it is who I am. I do get relapses where I can't do anything, it can last up to 4 weeks. I'm also very limited and I'm presuming you are also
    It's been interesting to hear your outcome. Thanks for sharing 🙂 That would be magical not feel any pain, even for a short spell! You sound like you are likely worse than me with your symptoms. I keep active mostly by going to work which involves getting up and down out of my seat to greet people and carry out interviews with them  throughout my day but I firmly believe if I gave up my job I would definitely seize up or if I was stuck in my chair all day I would seize up . My job offers a good mix of sitting and standing  Don't get me wrong, it's painful at work , like constant but not to the point where I can't move or function. If it gets that bad then I'd have to consider giving it up. If I sit for more than 30 mins then stand up, I have to pat my legs due to them being numb but the feeling comes back again in under a minute! 
    You sound like you have quite a positive outlook despite suffering chronic pain daily. I admire your spirit. Heading off to sleep but thanks for the chat tonight, been great to hear from you.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing
    Yes, i've had this quite a few years ago for a dfferent reason. It didn't hurt because i had a local anesthetic in the area. For me, my only relief was with the local, once that wore off the pain was back. Complete waste of time and didn't have another.
  • Sandy_123
    I don't know if mine is worse then yours, I've had it a long time, since about just under 20 years. But i also have a curvature at the top of my spine. The facet joints on me are not much use at the bottom, hence limit bending with disk disease. 
    But it is what it is. There's only two ways to go. 1 let it beat you down 2 carry on best you can. I chose 2.  
    Let us know how you get on after your op
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,906 Championing
    Hello @6080 I'm glad to hear you have a date after waiting so long! I hope the community can continue to be a support for you. I am wishing you all the best, please keep us updated :) 

I forgot to update this post. I had it done. The injection felt like a bolt of electricity shooting down my leg to my foot . I yelped so loud as it was completely unexpected but it did only last a split second. It's because they administered the liquids so close to my nerves. I stood up after the procedure and went to walk forward from the bed and almost ended up a heap on the floor if it had not of been for grabbing hold of the nurse and rheumatologist on my way down, again completely unexpected. My leg was completely dead. After about 30 minutes I could feel the sensation returning. It was a bit scary at the time as you initially think something has gone wrong. The next day or two I felt amazing . I went a walk with my dog and felt no pain but quickly realised I had overdone it a little that day and started aching by the evening. It lasted a month then slowly started to return to normal but I have been left with a sensation in my foot when walking, like an added irritation. I don't think I would get another one done as it didn't last long enough to warrant the result. I'm weary incase it causes further damage. I continue to take meds and still do my physio exercises taught and get by.

• onedayatatime
    onedayatatime Community member Posts: 212 Empowering

@6080 was just curious to know if you had been offered or considered any further procedures? I've had a couple of lumbar spine epidurals as well as nerve blocks. They were performed under general anaesthetic for nerve root impingement. Surgeon said there was about a 75% success rate of alleviating some leg pain and could last anything from a week to months. Unfortunately not successful for me but have spoken to others who have had great results combined with continued medication.

For me the next step is surgery or the choice of continuing to try more injections. I've opted for the surgery, but am very nervous. I've also arthritis in the facet joints and have been told surgery won't help with the back pain but will hopefully relieve the leg pain.

• happyfella
    happyfella Community member Posts: 509 Empowering

I have eight injections done twice a year. They do four for my neck and at the same time they do four for my shoulder. Very uncomfortable. Sometimes I am lucky and they last upto four months, but sometimes they last two months. Sadly I cannot have surgery as they class it as too dangeours.

Without the injections I would not be able to move due to how bad the pain is