New to UC - Not sure whether to apply — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New to UC - Not sure whether to apply

snuggy54snuggy Community member Posts: 1 Listener
First post so please be kind!
I'm currently working 22hrs a week and take home £1200 a month. However, one of my children (7yrs) gets DLA (high care rate/low mobility rate) and everything is a bit too much for me right now. I'm considering giving up work and claiming UC. I'm not sure if I'd qualify or when to apply; after i resign? I can't afford to have no income.
Has anyone else been in a similar situation please? I've never claimed benefits and feel a bit of a fraud!


  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,011 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 20
    Use a benefit calculator to see what you might help

    You would get standard allowance, child element, disability child element (high rate) and carer element (plus housing element if you rent).

    Do you any other other benefits other than Child Benefit and their DLA? Any thing such as Child Credits would stop if you claim UC
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jdug
    jdug Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Yes, benefits calculator, use different scenarios, see whats best for you. If you are unable or unsure go to citizens advice.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.