Overnight Carer/ extra bedroom LHA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Overnight Carer/ extra bedroom LHA

Options
StillIRise
StillIRise Community member Posts: 178 Pioneering

My Social Worker told me I’ve been re-assessed by Social Services as requiring overnight Care.  She said I am eligible for the 2 bedroom Local Housing Allowance rate due to needing an overnight Carer.  Currently I get the 1 bedroom Local Housing Allowance rate.  I’m on PIP Enhanced Daily Care and LCWRA.  I live in a 1 bedroom and at present any overnight Carer will have to sleep on my tiny 2-seater sofa. 

How does the extra bedroom allowance work?  Would I need to actually move to a 2-bed flat and then hope they grant me the 2 bedroom rate.  How do I apply for this rate?

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @StillIRise

Great news that they are giving you more support :) I am unsure about the queries you have asked, so I am going to tag this post as unanswered and give it a bump. Hopefully someone in the community may have more of an insight :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @StillIRise. I just spotted your post and wanted to check: Are you currently private renting, and is there a shortfall between your current rent amount and the amount you receive in housing benefits / housing element of Universal Credit?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • StillIRise
    StillIRise Community member Posts: 178 Pioneering
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Hello @StillIRise. I just spotted your post and wanted to check: Are you currently private renting, and is there a shortfall between your current rent amount and the amount you receive in housing benefits / housing element of Universal Credit?
    Thanks for your message @Adrian_Scope.  I am privately renting a 1 bedroom flat for which I receive Housing Element.  The shortfall between my current rent and the Housing Element is £350 per month.  The 2-bedroom rate for Housing Element would represent a lower shortfall of around £80 a month on my current rent. Hope that makes sense -- so even if I was getting the 2-bedroom rate the actual rent I am paying would exceed the Housing Element. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Hello @StillIRise. It's my understanding that households who are entitled to more bedrooms receive a higher LHA rate, even if they don't actually have the additional bedroom. However, I'm unsure if the same provision applies to those who require overnight care.

If you decide to apply for this, you would need to mention in your journal that you have been assessed by social services as needing overnight care and that you wish to apply for the additional bedroom in your housing element. Once you do this, UC should add a 'to do' task to your account, asking you some simple questions about it. 

A decision maker will review this information and make a decision on whether to award the additional bedroom rate. Please let us know how you get on. :) 

Community Manager
    Scope
  • AngelicaPickles
    AngelicaPickles Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Options
    Following- as my local authority were a bit "funny" about me not technically having the extra bedroom but wanting it included in my claim. They added it but not without a fight. I had a 2 bed and need someone with me 24/7 so I have friends frequently staying over if my husband is unwell or asleep. Last night nobody was here and I couldn't get off the sofa and up the stairs so I had to sleep in my chair. My husband didn't get my text but he was exhausted! It was too late to shout him. Whereas usually when he's that tired I just ask one of my friends round to help me. The council asked where my children sleep if someone is staying over and tried to deny the allowance, despite me not getting child benefit which would entitle the extra bedroom anyway. I had to send proof - the court order that states they stay with their dad half the week and when I'm unwell. I explained that myself and my partner tend to stay awake all night on school nights because medication makes us miss alarms and its easier just to sleep during the day when they're at school. So no overnight help needed on those days. They awarded it based on that but said if my children needed the spare bedroom full time in future they will remove the subsidy for the overnight carer. Sorry if this isn't helpful, I don't know where I legally stand but it might help to know that they may ask if you actually have the bedroom. Hopefully you get some help as that is a big shortfall! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.