Hi, my name is zm2003! currently homeless with no income. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is zm2003! currently homeless with no income.

Options
zm2003
zm2003 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I’m 20 year old male currently homeless with no income. 

I was kicked out of my mums house due to there being no room. I’m staying at a friends for a few weeks but have been told I have to leave by the 10th of July. I have no income due to having to leave my job. Where do I start please 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,820 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What was the reason you had to leave you job? Are you currently looking for work, have a disability the limits your capability to work?

As for being homeless then i'd advise you to speak to shelter who will be able to give you all the advice you need. https://www.shelter.org.uk/ as a single person, it may not be that easy to be housed through social housing.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • zm2003
    zm2003 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    My job was an hour away from where I’m staying at a friends and I have no fuel money & insurance.I’m currently looking for work in the area temporarily 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,820 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In this situation you'll be able to claim Universal Credit. As you're under 25 then you'll be entitled to standard allowance of £292.11/month. If you do find somewhere to live then you'll be able to claim for help with any rent through UC known as housing element.

Once you've submitted a claim your first payment will be 1 month and 6 days later. You can apply for an advance payment but please be aware that this will need to be repaid back and your future UC payments will be reduced.

It's not a lot of money to live off so in the meantime are you able to find some work where you're currently living?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear you are in such a stressful situation @zm2003

I see poppy had mentioned Shelter, there is also Crisis who are a homelessness charity. I would also encourage you to reach out to Scope's Helpline or Citizen's Advice if you need support with applying for Universal Credit.

Citizen's Advice also have advice pages on renting from the council to renting privately that may be helpful to read. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.