Moving in with partner — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving in with partner

Lornabatey31 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi can someone help me please .

I'm looking to let my partner move in with me I get uc , lcwra and pip he gets the same type of benefits.

Can someone advise me on what I or we will loose if we both join our claims together.
He will be giving up his property and moving in with myself which is council property also just before we make the change.



  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,011 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 21
    Only one of you can continue to be paid UC although you with both seem be UC claimants. The UC payment will be calculated on your joint situation. You will get less money as a couple than as two individuals (but will of course only have one set of fuel bills etc to pay).

    The UC will include the standard couple allowance, only one of you can have LCWRA elemented, the other could claim the carer element for caring for the other (assuming they get Daily Living PIP and nobody else already claims anything for caring for them).

    You can use a benefit calculator

    The PIP claims are not affected..
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.