Moving home and transitional protection — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving home and transitional protection

Options
jc_3242
jc_3242 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hi,

I have a friend that is soon moving home from Northern Ireland to England.

They are still on the old style legacy benefits. 

They receive income related ESA and child tax credits. When they move, they will obviously be automatically switched to make a claim for Universal Credit. Their question is, would they be eligible for transitional protection, thus keeping their payments the same on UC as they are on the old style legacy benefits?

Thanks for the help and advice. 

Comments

• jc_3242
    jc_3242 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    Also they receive severe disability premium. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,659 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They will not be automatically switched to UC because no one is. They will only need to claim UC if they need to claim for help with any rent. If they don't then they will remain on their exisiting benefits.

If they need to claim for help with the rent then when they move they will need to claim UC. This will then end any Income Related ESA they are claiming after 2 weeks.

Tax credits will end once they submit their UC claim.

If they will continue to live alone or treated as living alone then their UC will include the SDP Transitional Protection. If they are in the Support Group for ESA then they'll be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of their claim. However, unfortunately, they are likely to be worse off once they claim UC because the SDP TP is less than what the SDP is. It will also erode over time, which means if other elements increase the TP decreases until such a time it erodes completely.

You are only guaranteed to not be worse off when claiming UC through managed migration.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.