If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does PC entitle a single disabled 90 year old to free council tax?

Options
erm
erm Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
Just asking is it worth her calling the council office to ask if she will get total council tax rebate now she is on PC ? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,120 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, she will be entitled to 100% CTR because of the PC. Same applies to housing benefit if she claims for help with any rent.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • serenity2
    serenity2 Community member Posts: 250 Pioneering
    Options

ah the benefit system is a minefield. So much information it’s always good to try check and ask.it helps to reassure.  Sometimes if someone has never placed benefit claims before it’s difficult to know what’s what…
    glad Poppy123456 was able to help :) 

:)
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    letitgo said:
    Im surprised u even have to ask

Why? The benefits system isn't easy to understand. Benefits entitlement doesn't come to you, you have to apply for it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Age doesn't automatically qualify you for 100% CTR or any CTR for that matter. PC entitles you to 100% reduction.
  • erm
    erm Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Options
    Thank you all for input, Mum got 100% reduction they sent a letter saying she was owed back the money she paid as her PC was backdated to March, but I fear that means she wont get the 1st of the £900 payments but hopefully she will receive the 2nd and 3rd! It is such as shame that people in need get told the wrong info on Benefits by government advisors. She worked from 14 all her life never claimed a penny yet was told cos of her small private pension it took her over the threshold for PC when it obviously did not! so she has paid hundreds a year for dentist and glasses and not had WHD CWP COLP so sat hungry in a cold unheated home cos the government use figures that lead people to believe they are over the PC threshold when they are not. Such a sad state of affairs eh. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2023
    Options
    erm said:
    …It is such as shame that people in need get told the wrong info on Benefits by government advisors. She worked from 14 all her life never claimed a penny yet was told cos of her small private pension it took her over the threshold for PC when it obviously did not! ..
    She may well have been misadvised but it is only possible that she previously did not qualify but that has changed since then.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.