Community therapist? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Community therapist?

Sharkey26 Community member Posts: 36 Connected
My hospital doctor person when I went to the spastic clinic thing referred me to community therapist service and I’m just wondering what that is? Is it the same as an occupational therapist or different does anyone know please 


  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2023
    It seems like therapy but in the community @Sharkey26 - which tends to mean support at home rather than in a hospital or other clinical setting. Hope this helps to clarify. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions or anything else we can do to support you. How are you feeling about this at the moment?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Sharkey26
    Sharkey26 Community member Posts: 36 Connected
    @L_Volunteer thank you but I still don’t really no what that means to be honest is it the same as an occupational therapist do u no? 
    I feel nervous and unsettled due to the unknown but right now I would take any help and support especially if it can help me move closer to my family for support
    i also wonder about reading your information says u have knowledge about ehcp I asked the school to get one for my son but they said he doesn’t meet the requirements. Do u no what the requirements are?

  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 15,902 Disability Gamechanger
    A community therapist could also be a physiotherapist, however, if you know the name of the Dr you saw, I'd suggest ringing the hospital & ask to speak to their secretary, who will then likely be able to tell you what sort of therapist the Dr wanted you to see.
    There's some info about EHCPs here:
    Also there's info from IPSEA:


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.