Would you move away for college? (NOT UNI) — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would you move away for college? (NOT UNI)

Sunny_Days
Sunny_Days Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi all,

I hope you are all well. I have asked this question before, but would like to ask it on this forum.

I have autism and mental health issues. My autism will of course never go away, but I am sure my mental health issues are be resolved soon. I am under a community mental health team, but they're overstretched. It's been a long time that I have been waiting for therapy.

Anyways, I have just turned 24 this month. I am looking to relocate next year (if all goes well) for college. I would like to have a second chance to do A-Levels as I started becoming ill when I was doing my first A-Levels when I was 19-years old.

I know what college I want to go to - but it's in Hampshire and I am in Essex. I don't mind moving to be near the college and I don't think money is an issue. However, I just really worry about being away from my mum. I'm worried she'd think I've abandoned her. I of course would be back, but I also want to go to university one day as well. I don't want to do an Access Course because I feel like they're not authentic qualifications.

I want to go down the traditional route and do A-Levels. But before I do my A-Levels, I want to do a level 2 course in Art and Design as my art skills aren't up the scratch (in my opinion).

So in total I'd be away from home for 3-years, but I would come home and visit in the holidays. I have always been under my mum's wing and never left her side, I feel like I'd be leaving her if I did move though.

I firstly need to get my mental health and weight issue sorted out first. This will probably take a year or longer.

In the meanwhile I am looking for a part time office job to keep my busy. I have also applied for volunteering in my local area for a charity.

I think the reason why I don't want to do an Access Course is because of my ASD and also I want the full college experience again. Years ago I used to go to my local sixth form, but the year after doing my GCSEs I became ill. So I couldn't do my A-Levels. But I think this time next year, I'll be ready.

So, would you move away for college if given the opportunity? 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,326 Disability Gamechanger
    All things being equal yes I would have.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 43,948 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sunny_days welcome to the forum 

If you feel ready to go and do your Alevels next year then go for it. 3 years sounds alot and it will soon fly by.
    Your mom will be sad like I was when my daughter left for uni. But as well as you going home to visit, your mom could also visit you. Like I did with my daughter. 
    I think it's good that you want that experience.  
    I hope everything goes OK  so that you can get to do it.

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,556 Disability Gamechanger
    You could still contact your Mum regularly, even every day if you wanted to.  With unlimited mobile minutes/texts or video calling it's easier than ever to keep in contact.

I regret not going to Uni myself (only stopped due to health conditions) so I would agree that you should find a way to do what you want to do now.

Will your Mum have the support of anyone else while you're away?  Friends or relatives?
  • Sunny_Days
    Sandy_123 said:
    Hi @sunny_days welcome to the forum 

If you feel ready to go and do your Alevels next year then go for it. 3 years sounds alot and it will soon fly by.
    Your mom will be sad like I was when my daughter left for uni. But as well as you going home to visit, your mom could also visit you. Like I did with my daughter. 
    I think it's good that you want that experience.  
    I hope everything goes OK  so that you can get to do it.

Hi, thank you for the welcoming post.

I agree with you, 3-years sounds like a long time, but it does fly by.

I am hopefully going to get the treatment for my mental health soon, so then I can move sooner rather than later. I just worry because my mum is 60 next year. I have these thoughts like "what if x/y/z happens when I'm away?"

I do believe moving away would bring me so many new experiences and independence too. 
  • Sunny_Days
    You could still contact your Mum regularly, even every day if you wanted to.  With unlimited mobile minutes/texts or video calling it's easier than ever to keep in contact.

I regret not going to Uni myself (only stopped due to health conditions) so I would agree that you should find a way to do what you want to do now.

Will your Mum have the support of anyone else while you're away?  Friends or relatives?
    Yes, I have unlimited calls and texts. It would be very easy to keep in contact with my mum. I just worry about her being lonely. She has her sister and my other sisters'. I would always visit her during the holidays.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.