Do I need to inform UC that I've been awarded PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I need to inform UC that I've been awarded PIP?

mea Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone im mea 
I was awarded lcwra in march had text last week saying i have been awarded pip does anyone know if i have to tell the UC i been awarded the pip


  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 9,787 Scope online community team
    Hello @mea and a warm welcome to the community.
    You don't have to tell UC you have been awarded PIP but there are many situations where it can be beneficial to. Without knowing more about your personal situation it would be impossible for us to tell whether it would impact your UC claim.
    For example if you are single and under 35 it can increase any bedroom entitlement you have under the housing element. 
    As you're receiving LCWRA you won't be benefit capped but if you weren't, being awarded PIP would remove the cap.

    To inform them you only need to add a note to your journal letting them know that you are now in receipt of PIP. 
    Community Manager
  • mea
    mea Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks for the reply i should have mentioned i am 63 living on my own i own my own  home i just wondered if i had to inform the UC i wasnt sure Thanks again


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.