Any advice? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any advice?

Rathlogan25 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all.
I've received PIP - for 18 years ,and have been granted until 2031 . 
My age is 63 - my health is failing and I'm afraid I might soon need to stop working! 
I understand UC- but would I be able to claim LCWra or whatever it's called . 
Does anybody have any experience of claiming this in conjunction with UC. 
I would really appreciate any advice,as am working when I need to stop - but have fear of financial hardship. 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,593 Disability Gamechanger
    You should look at claiming SSP from your employer first, which is payable for 28 weeks, if you're entitled.

    You can also use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to UC. It's a means tested benefit so whether there's any entitlement will depend on your circumstances. If you live with a partner you'll need to claim as a couple and your joint circumstances will be taken into consideration. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming.

    If it shows any entitlement and you start a claim you will need to make sure you report your health condition, supported by a fit note within 7 days of that. You will then be referred for the work capability assessment.

    Once your SSP ends you can look at claiming New style ESA. It's not means tested so other income/savings/capital do not affect the amount you're entitled to. It's based on your NI contributions in tax years 2020/21 and 2021/22. If you claim both ESA and UC together the ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rathlogan25
    Rathlogan25 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you 👍


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.