If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Hi, my name is bevvers! Permitted work ESA

Options
bevvers
bevvers Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, so glad to be here.  

Comments

• bevvers
    Options
    I have a question I am hoping for some guidance on.  I am appointee for a young man with ASD, ADHD, Mental Health diagnoses and a raft of other issues.  He is currently placed in the support group for ESA, assessed as having limited capability for work.  However is also being supported to do  limited work with a communication and autism team for 3 hours a week. This is currently accepted as permitted whilst being in the support group.  He is doing so well at this, with lots of support that they want him to do another 3 hours a week.  One period of 3 hours is currently paid, the other is the question.  Will he loose his support group status by increasing his work hours, by doing so voluntarily, or if they can find funding, by being paid (total income per week currently £27/wk so would expect this to rise to £54/wk if funding found)?  Does anyone know the answer.  Loosing support group status would be devastating, he would not cope with the work related activities group requirements.  I am keen to give the right guidance.  Can anyone help point me in the right direction?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,289 Championing
    Options
    Permitted work rules when claiming ESA are that you must make sure you work less than 16 hours/week and do not earn more than £167/week. Any more than this and your ESA will end.

You do need to be aware that if the work they do contradicts the reasons why they are in the Support Group then it can go against them when they are next reviewed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bevvers
    Options
    Thanks Poppy123456, I was thinking just that.  Useful to have that confirmed.  
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Championing
    Options
    Glad the community could help @bevvers and it's great to have you join us :) 

You're welcome to stay and have a look around, the coffee lounge is a good place to get to know everyone!
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Championing
    Options
    bevvers said:
    ..He is currently placed in the support group for ESA, assessed as having limited capability for work.  
    Support Group means that he is assessed as having Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity.
    This makes no difference to your question about Permitted Work but just thought I would clarify.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.