If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip and PTSD

Options
chuck62
chuck62 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I have been diagnosed as suffering from PTSD following a road traffic incident where the other party lost their life. I struggle to describe the way this has affected me. I have been advised I should claim for PIP but find describing my situation very difficult. I am not used to talking about mental health but find myself in a difficult financial situation now, is there anyone who can assist with claiming PIP?
Tagged:

Comments

• dannistar
    dannistar Community member Posts: 95 Courageous
    Options
    Sorry I don’t have any info but noticed your still awaiting a reply so hopefully someone can see this and help 😊
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Try contacting your local Citizens Citizens on other benefits advice agency.
    https://advicelocal.uk/
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • mistakes65
    mistakes65 Community member Posts: 105 Courageous
    Options
    Sorry I’ve only just seen this . I suffer with PTSD and i asked for help from my counselling person I saw on how to explain it . 
    Sorry if it’s not much help 😞 also your GP perhaps could help ? 
  • Morby
    Morby Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    I’ve just won PIP at the tribunal stage and part of mine was for PTSD after a road accident - except it was me that was hit. As it’s given on the help you need not diagnosis alone you need to show them how it’s effected you and the things it has now stopped you doing - unfortunately this does mean digging deep and bringing up those memories but despite having to go to tribunal, I did feel my assessor was understanding regarding the PTSD and was careful on the questions they asked and what they needed, same with the panel at tribunal. 

You have to show them you now need support for normal activities such as, I got hit by a car, so now when I cross the road I get flashbacks and it takes me a while to cross, which unfortunately leads to cars beeping at me and causing panic attacks. I nearly always have someone with me now to help cross roads so I can do it in a timely manner and not keep stepping on/off the pavement until my head decides it’s safe. And that point - you have to tell the assessor what you would do if your head doesn’t tell you it’s safe, would you walk an extra 5 minutes until you felt calm, or go back home etc. 

hope this helps :smile: and good luck! 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @chuck62 and welcome, thanks for reaching out. I can see other members have shared their own experiences with you which I hope has been helpful. 

If you have anyone providing ongoing support with your PTSD it might be helpful to have a chat with them, and you can also search for an adviser using Advice Local or get in touch with an adviser at Scope by phone or email with the Scope Helpline.

The process of applying for PIP can be stressful, particularly when it involves disclosing past/ongoing trauma or going into detail about your mental health, so if you need any extra support or even just a chat, the community is here to support you :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.