Online Open University Course — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Online Open University Course

Options
Chrisd119
Chrisd119 Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Comments

• Chrisd119
    Options
    Hi everyone, my son who is in receipt of ESA and PIP due to his ASD has decided to do an online course with the OU but we are ferful that he may
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    what is it you are fearful of @Chrisd119 ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming đź’ˇ

• Chrisd119
    Options
    sorry, my post went live before I had finished typing. We are fearful of him losing his benefits if he does the course
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Chrisd119 said:
    sorry, my post went live before I had finished typing. We are fearful of him losing his benefits if he does the course
    Assuming your son will only be getting his tuition fee paid for, it will have no affect. The OU is treated differently to normal education.

However, as your son has a disability he may be entitled to a Maintenance Loan (you can not usually receive this when studying with the OU). If this is the case then there'll be a deduction from his ESA regardless of whether he chooses to take it or not, he needs to speak to Student Finance about this.

PIP is separate, this will be unaffected regardless as it isn't means-tested and isn't a change that needs to be reported.

So no, he won't just 'loose his benefits' by studying. My advice to him is go for it and good luck!
  • Chrisd119
    Options
    Great advice, thank you

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.