Advice please — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice please

Options
Doogie191
Doogie191 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi I was hoping someone could give me some advice please. I am on working tax credits and child tax credits. I have a disabled son who turns 20 in September. He is on high level pip. And still in education in the senco department at college. He has a EHCP plan. Both my tax credits will stop end of august. Tax credits have told me I will get a renewal pack sent next year for working tax credits only. Which should be for about £1100 for the year. So between august and when I can claim working tax credits again next year I won’t get anything from them. I am single mom i work 16 hours a week and claim carers for my son.I have my daughter who is a full time student at uni lives with me. I am really worried as my money is going to drop so much. I have a very small mortgage left on my house. I pay into my pension so I could claim carers. I also pay an unregistered carer to pick my son up when I am at work from college £30 a week. My wages are £465 every 4 weeks after my pension contributions deducted of about £198 per month. I have contacted a benefits advisor who has said I would not get anything on universal credit. I would be grateful of any advise. Thank  You

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,947 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Unless you’re disabled yourself then you will need to be working at least 30 hours per week to qualify for working tax credits once the tax credits end for your son.

For UC because you won’t be claiming for help with any rent then your maximum entitlement will be as follows..
    £368.74 standard allowance 
    £185.86 carers element. 

Total before deductions £554.60/month.
    carers allowance is deducted in full so £332.58/month. £222.02 before earnings deduction. 

Your earnings received each month will reduce your UC by 55%. Therefore your earnings will reduce it to zero. The advisor was correct there’s no entitlement. 

As UC has replaced all other benefits there’s no other benefits you can claim. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Doogie191
    Options
    Thankyou for getting back to me. Could my son claim anything. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Will he be returning to college in September? If so then full time students can only usually claim UC in certain circumstances. See link
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universal-credit-and-students
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Doogie191
    Options
    Yes he will. In the senco department as he has support for his learning. So I have to wait until my family tax credits finish 31 August as he is on my claim. Then put a claim for universal credit in for him. Thank you again 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    As he will be returning to full time education then he will not be able to UC in his own right because he needs be assessed as having limited capability for work before the course began. 
  • Doogie191
    Options
    Do can you advise me on what I can do please 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    There's no other benefits you can claim for yourself i'm afraid. If you increased your hours to 30 per week then you could claim working tax credits but then you would lose the carers allowance.
  • Doogie191
    Options
    Thankyou for your advice 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Students and UC is always a very grey area. Is he staying in non advanced education in September? If not is there a student loan available for him to apply for?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.